LFS took me for $900

stanlalee

Can you list everything that was sold to you and the price of those items? Are you being sarcastic about the $900 or including everything you've ever bought from the LPS? what kind of lighting did they sell you?

missi

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
Can you list everything that was sold to you and the price of those items? Are you being sarcastic about the $900 or including everything you've ever bought from the LPS? what kind of lighting did they sell you?
I'm not sure the name of the light, but at his word the manager said that it was "the best lighting for that tank". It was $199.00; the stand was $159 and the canopy was $69.00 tank $34.99; seawater 20gal $79.90; filter millenium 2000/160gph $39.99,Red Sea Prizm skimmer $135.99; sand $23.99, live rock 16 lbs - $115.34, 2 cleaner shrimp $19.99/ea, 63.55 tax

Then I purchased three anemone's at $35.00/ea, 2 perculas at $39/ea, 10 snails at $1/ea, 1 tang for $39, and hundreds of dollars in other fish for my tank at work

I guess I have learned my lesson.

wattsupdoc

Just wondering, did they sell you all thisstuff at once? Before you even cycled the tank? Did the tank cycle?

missi

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Just wondering, did they sell you all thisstuff at once? Before you even cycled the tank? Did the tank cycle?
They sold it all to me at once; as the shrimp was the only animal going in at that time. I let it cycle for 3 weeks and went back and purchased the fish.

wattsupdoc

Do you test you're water? Those anemones definetly wont survive,
I would take them back and demand a store credit for the full amount.
They know better! Anemones from what I've been told need an established system. Like at least 6 months. So I understand.
3 weeks doesnt seem like an appropriate amount of time for a cycle. they can go for like 6 weeks or longer. However mine did cycle in 3 weeks but I converted from FW to salt gradgually.(sp)

fishieness

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
that is what i was about to ask.
and you have hundreds of dollars of fish in a 7 gallon? what fish did they have you put in there?!
and as far as "the best lighting" how many watts is it? we can tell how good it is then.

fishy7

Originally Posted by fighting0
Eventually, that fish won't be a happy fish cuz they need tons of room.
Take the $13.00 and run with it.. Chalk it up as a learning experience. :)
Cost for a good education.

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by Missi
I'm not sure the name of the light, but at his word the manager said that it was "the best lighting for that tank". It was $199.00; the stand was $159 and the canopy was $69.00 tank $34.99; seawater 20gal $79.90; filter millenium 2000/160gph $39.99,Red Sea Prizm skimmer $135.99; sand $23.99, live rock 16 lbs - $115.34, 2 cleaner shrimp $19.99/ea, 63.55 tax

Then I purchased three anemone's at $35.00/ea, 2 perculas at $39/ea, 10 snails at $1/ea, 1 tang for $39, and hundreds of dollars in other fish for my tank at work

I guess I have learned my lesson.
Gosh, that place REALLY got you good! My 24 gal AquaPod (included lights, filter, pump, canopy) was $225.00, seawater was $0.75/gal, 20 lbs LS was $20.00, LR $5.00/lb (I have 25 lbs). This place sells Perculas for like $15, snails for $0.75, I havent priced anemones or tangs though. The owner gives me a 5-10% discount each time I go in there, which is awesome (he likes that I do bully breed rescue.) You can buy filters and powerheads and such MUCH cheaper on a very popular auction site, as well as lights. If that is the only LFS around you, I would just buy my stuff online, you do not need to give those people any more of your money...and I would DEFINATELY complain that he ripped you off. So sorry to hear about people like that in the business taking advantage of new people. I wish you luck!
-Melody

bigyb

you may want to look for another LFS because the one i go to in NJ wouldn't sell anything when i first bought my 20gl tank he told i had to cycle it but he did sell me some damsel fish to help cycle the tank but only after i set up the tank and brought him some water in so he could test it.
he also wouldn't sell me any anemones untill i had the tank for about two months. the only time i had a problem was when i went back to buy more fish for the tank and one of the ppl sold me a fresh water fish. DONT LAUGH
they where all on the same wall and there were no divider to tell you the tanks changed
after i brought the DEAD fish back to the store he gave me back store credit !!!

thats how you do bussiness not trying to shove it into your face or anything
ps also the guy who sold me the fresh water fish dont work there any more

I

ironhead

Originally Posted by bigyb
you may want to look for another LFS because the one i go to in NJ

what place in NJ do you go to
I'm looking for a good LFS

bigyb

Originally Posted by Ironhead

what place in NJ do you go to
I'm looking for a good LFS
im in South Jersey the LFS is in Clementon

bombay_duc

Originally Posted by Missi
I came here for help, not for you to criticize me. If I wanted comments like that I would have gone back to the LFS.
Thanks for nothing

not criticising you, just pointing out that there is more to the "evil LFS made me do it" issue than you make it out to be

fishykel

hey, . trust me, i know how it is to be messed over. after hurricane katrina, we started cleaning out our house. we threw out the sheetrock and all of our other stuff. we cleaned out our 90 gal. fish tank , and threw all liverock, sand etc. away. after we finished cleaning our fish tank, we set it in the house, boarded up the house, and left. we came back the next day to finishing gutting out the house, and somebody had stolen our fish tank. talk about being mad. im just thinkng to myself how can somebody do that, after a hurricane came and we lost everything, then steal the stuff that we could actually salvage? geez, ppl these days. that lucky person has a very nice 90 gallon fish tank now. gets me angry everytime i think of it.

missi

Thanks to everyone for your advice. The LFS store is open today and I will call them and tell them that they've lost me as a customer. I found out yesterday that there is another LFS closer to me and I will call them and introduce myself to them today :cheer:
You all were wonderful.

fishieness

i hope things go okay and the LFS closest to you is a better one

good luck
however i would still like to know what fish you have in a 7 gallon that they had you spend 400 bucks on. lol

chipmaker

I do not view a lfs as a rip off just because they managed to get $$$$ out of your possession. I view this situaition assomeone that jumped into something without doing their homework and research fully if at all. Sorry if that offends yu but no one did forceyou to give uyp that money and buy what you did and yu can not blame the lfgs either as its part and parcel of being in business, and if its how they run their business then so be it. Wise folks would have shied away.....Life is like that.

stingrayjs

"I do not view a lfs as a rip off just because they managed to get $$$$ out of your possession. I view this situaition assomeone that jumped into something without doing their homework and research fully if at all. Sorry if that offends yu but no one did forceyou to give uyp that money and buy what you did and yu can not blame the lfgs either as its part and parcel of being in business, and if its how they run their business then so be it. Wise folks would have shied away.....Life is like that.
I don't agree...
Most poeple go to store looking for something with an working knowlege of whats in the store. If its cars you would expect the car dealership to know the cars they are selling. If you take that same car to a mechanic you expect that person to know how to perform mainance and work on that car and or fix the car if there is an issue. With LFS I am lucky that the one I have here has people that have been there for 15+ years and are Marine Biologists on staff. But that seems to be a very rare thing. At teh very least I wouls expect the staff there to have basic knowlege of what to buy and what has to be done. The average person goes to these places looking for knowlege and info. What better place to get info on fish than a store that sells fish! I don't know about you but would you go to a grocery store to get info about a lawnmower? But there is still a very real truth that there are store out there that only care about making a quick sell, know nothing about what they are selling, and dont care abou thte customer. Caveat Emptor! but also now is true...caveat semptor every day more people are beacome aware.

missi

Originally Posted by fishieness
i hope things go okay and the LFS closest to you is a better one

good luck
however i would still like to know what fish you have in a 7 gallon that they had you spend 400 bucks on. lol
I started with a percula a scooter blenny and a damsel with 2 pieces of live rock and sand. I then purchased 2 sea horses --- they died and they told me it was too crowded -- after I had named all of my fish (to make sure they were ok with sea horses) and they said that it would be ok to put in a 7g. So, I researched and found that you should only have a total of 1-3 inches of fish per gallon. Now, after letting the tank sit for a few weeks I have added to perculas and will not add anything else to it.

stingrayjs

Hopefully you will get everything running ok. 7g yea 1 fish would be max and a small one at that. But you very much so need and hopfulyy can find another lfs knear you. Mine here sells 25g longs (used) for I think $5. Might even be time to send some info to the better buisness buero abou them if tey are doing things like that. :mad: