Lfs?

gonefishn

One more question...I've been doing research, but the answers seem to take me in circles. How does one determine if the LFS is giving sound advise or just trying to sell a product?:nervous:

lefty

Compare what he or she says with what we say on here. We're always right, by the way. :D
Or you could ask them a question you already know the right answer to. Like "Can I keep a powder blue tang in a 30 gallon tank?" (the answer to that is a definite 'no'). :)
-lefty

gonefishn

I appreciate your reply.
It's a thing about filtration. It's driving me bonkers. They have a 20 gallon set up with a refugium. It is very pretty though half as big as I'd like. They run no other filtration. It is quiet, it doesn't stink...But then you all seem dead set against it... :confused:
They all end up costing the same too, so I don't know if they are just trying to get rid of the thing or what. The noise factor is kind of important in a household where "Dad" has a low threshhold for sounds.
I'm nearly convinced to go that way but I'd hate to get it and wish I hadn't. I suppose if I had to hook up a filter once a week for a couple of hours it wouldn't hurt.
Does this sound reasonable?:happyfish

lefty

Not all filters are loud. Both filters I have (one on my main tank and the other on the QT) are both very quiet. There is a very faint hum in the background, but you don't even notice it after a few minutes. From a mechanical filtration article written by Bob Fenner, I quote
"For suspended solids, microbes, detritus, among other euphemisms for fecal matter, uneaten food... that place is outside your system ASAP. Extraneous material interferes with water clarity, and worse; much of it becomes water soluble, going into solution as more nitrogenous waste, other metabolites, and algal nutrients. Yeah, you know what I'm getting at; pollution."
The Whisper filter I have on my QT makes absolutely no noise; the powerhead makes more noise than the filter, believe it or not. :)
-lefty

durabane

most systems that run without filters have been set up for a long time and have huge quantities of live rock and live sand. Not all filtration is mechanical. Most saltwater filtration is done through biological means. It is possible to run with only a skimmer or sump after your system has fully established itself. I would aviod it in the beginning for it takes careful testing and steady watching to get it to the level where it can contain itself especially in smaller water volumes
my 2 cents

ohiorn67

I have a big 90 gallon tank with an eHEIM filter on it , can't hear a thing, almost have to wonder if it is plugged in because it is so quiet and we love that is is so clean and easy to deal with. I am sure they make them for small tanks. Very little maintenance.

spe934

I wouldn't trust any one source 100%. Instead, I ask several different sources, read as much as I can, and then draw my own educated conclusions. You will find with this hobby there are MANY ways to set-up and run your tank. There is no ONE correct answer. Read, read, and re-read both books and online. Also check other saltwater sites to see what they have to say. If you get re-occuring advice on one particular area, see why people say that (such as buying a seaclone skimmer, yes, I know people who have them and have modified them to work well, but most people have more problems than not). As for your LFS, finding a good one can be hard, but remember, once you find one that you like (has both good service, sound advice, and stuff you want), be sure to patron them. Yes, you can find stuff cheaper online, but there is no substitute for a good LFS. You never know when you will need emergency help (eg. tank is leaking and you need to move your fish out ASAP) or a favor (yes, I want to buy that fish, but I can't pick it up until next week, can you hold it for me?). Email me if you have more questions and I can help point you in the right direction.

gonefishn

Hmmm.
Ok. So this eHiem, is it run without a protien skimmer Ohiorn?
That point about the Lfs spe934, I appreciate that thought. That is important.

ohiorn67

no no, sorry, I just started with the remoraC pro skimmer and also have 100 lbs of live rock....
but....I JUST put on the skimmer, was running with only the Eheim and my nitrates have never been over 10....whew!!