Life expectancy of pumps

sterling

How long do pumps usually keep working? I have a big Rio in my sump and several powerheads in tank. Just wondering when I should think about replacing them. I'd rather not wait until I have an emergency. They've been going for about 1 1/2 years now.

sterling

Big Mac, thanks. What are some good pumps to get? Or if anyone else has some suggestions, please jump in.

I am using a Dolphin DP 900 as a return pump for my 125 gallon right now. It is much more powerful than I thought and very, very quiet. It is much more quiet than the Rio 2100 that came with my skimmer, despite the obvious size and power difference. They claim to be more quiet and less hot than comparable pumps. My LFS swears by them and I have heard other good things as well. I know there are some other people on this board who have the Amp Master or Aqua Sea pumps made by Dolphin as well. Hope this helps.
Good Luck
-Christine
:)

bang guy

My most recent pump failure was an Iwaki 40RLT. It was first put into operation in 1991 and ran pretty much 24 hours a day since then. I replaced it with a 55RLT. The 40's twin (I run dual pumps)is still running strong but there is a LOT of corrosion on the casing. I may just need to retire it before it quits.

conundrum

"They've been going for about 1 1/2 years now."
Isn't that equal to about 5 'RIO' years...
"Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else."

heyoo

I've got a Rio 3100 on my 90 that has been working for a little over 2 years. I expect it will die any day now. On my 55, I had a rio 2100. It made it just about a year and crapped out. The brand-new Rio 2100 that replaced it lasted about 6 days.
I have started switching all of my tanks to Mag pumps, since my sumps were set up for submersibles. I've never heard about a Mag cracking open and leaching toxic metals and tar-like substances into aquariums. I have heard that about Rios...
But you get what you pay for. Rios are really cheap.