Lighting an Anemone question

iopusl

I currently have the coralife 130 watt pc setup. I know its not nearly enough to keep an anemone alive. From what I gather, I need at least 5 watts per gallon. With a 55 gallon tank I need 270 watts. So my idea is to make a canopy with crown molding, then rip the power compacts out of the coralife unit, then get 4 T-12 ballasts and wire them all into the canopy. With 40 watt T-12 bulbs that would bring me to 290 watts, over what I need if I buy the 5 watts per gallon theory. The reason for this idea is because I'm newly married and a new homeowner and really cannot go for $400 on a metal halide system, and the meiser in me refuses to let a $120 powercompact just be pushed aside.
So will this be enough to keep an anemone alive ?
Has anyone else done anything similar ?
Thanks in advance.

sato

130w over a 55 should be ok if you try to keep the Anemone centered under the light and in the top half of the tank, I would go with a Bubble Tip because they like to be in the rocks so it will be easier to get him up close to those lights.
Although I would reccommend upgrading at some point but you should be ok to keep an anemone as long as you can keep him fairly close the lights.

thegrog

I think your plan with the T4's and the PC combo would work great for most anemones. Just be sure to install a fan or two in your new canopy as that many bulbs will produce a bit of heat.
IMO, 130 watts is not enough for an anemone in a 55 for the long run. It may survive a little while, but it will suffer and die eventually.

A

andretti

I'd stay from anemones. They need pristine water condtions and strong lighting. And even if they do survive, their lifespan in captivity is something like 7 months. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part they die in a few weeks or months.

iopusl

I was thinking of a bubble tip. I know they're survival chances aren't great but I really want to give it a shot, hence my light upgrade.
The tank is a normal 55 gallon which the depth is somewhere around 18".
I'm not too rigid in the species of anemone so any suggestions on anemones is appreciated.

bang guy

IMO if you use an IceCap 660 ballast with your proposed T-12 lighting the Bubble-Tip will do fine as far as lighting. You still need to keep high quality water, lighting is just one part.