lighting and algae

norcal

what kind of lighting causes brown algae to grow in the tank? does it depend on the light or is it something else that causes it. the reason i ask is that in my first tank, primarily green algae and purple coraline grew. now i have a new tank and all im getting is an orangish brown algae. is there something in my water or is it the light or what??? i know calcium/alkalinity levels cause coraline, but what about green compared to brown?

oozy

also, depends on your lighting intensity, as well as how long you have your lights on for.
-oozy-

norcal

so tap water creates diatoms. I am assuming that diatoms are brown algae from that post?. the weird thing about that is, my old tank was in northern cali, and now this one is here with me in honolulu. and i had very clean tap water in both places. so i just used it along with some chlorine/ copper remover. but like i said before, the one in cali grew green algae, and this one grows orangish-brown (diatoms??) algae. could it be different from different tap water? does it depend how much silicates (whatever those are) are in the water?
by the way, i have very low intesity lighting and it is on about 12 hours a day.

bang guy

Originally Posted by norcal
could it be different from different tap water? does it depend how much silicates (whatever those are) are in the water?
Yes, quantity matters. Phosphate can also be found in Tap water at high concentrations.