Lighting for 55 gal reef

dlux4life

Hi Guys-
You all have been a great help on this board so far, and I again, cannot that you all enough for your input. I have a 55 gallon reef tank that I am establishing. In terms of lighting, what is your opinion of power compact lighting in comparison to metal halide?
This is going to be my first reef tank and my experience in the past has generally been limited to fluorescent. Would a system that has 4 22" power compact lights be enough to grow coral in a 48" 55 gallon system? Would i be limiting myself to low light corals by going PC vs. MH? This is the lighting system I am interested in due to the simplicity vs a MH system.
http://www.***********.com/AquaticLi...FIPCTF-vi.html
Any input would be much appreciated.

dragonzim

Skip the PCs altogether. You should be looking at either T5s with individual reflectors like TEK or Aquatinic or at Metal Halide

meowzer

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3102020
Skip the PCs altogether. You should be looking at either T5s with individual reflectors like TEK or Aquatinic or at Metal Halide
I agree.....especially if you want to get into reef.

cafero702

+1
I also only have PC's and had them for about a year and a half (currently upgrading to MH's now) and regret not just spending a little more money for MH's

gio28

i also used to have PCs and they werent worth the money because i wanted to keep LPS and SPS corals. get MH or T5. i found a 150watt MH w/ an awesome bulb on craigslist for $70. and im selling my PCs for $75. you should check craigslist.

bla403

Nova extreme pro is an option if you dont want to go with halide. Works for me and my clams/corals.

big

Yes by all means skip the PC lighting..... I like MH, too but for a 48 inch 55 gallon tank these days I would go with T-5's all the way......... Not the heat issues that MH give you.. ( In other words an expensive chiller that many folks with MH lighting end up needing,) Only loss is that shimmer from shadowing MH gives. I think in another 10 years or so ALMOST everyone will have made the switch to T-5 lighting systems ...................
I love my Nova Extreme Pro system on my 72 bow. Same 48 inch width with as you 55. You could then keep any coral your heart desires .

loopy101

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3102526
i also used to have PCs and they werent worth the money because i wanted to keep LPS and SPS corals. get MH or T5. i found a 150watt MH w/ an awesome bulb on craigslist for $70. and im selling my PCs for $75. you should check craigslist.
i agree def get t5HO with indvidual reflectors or mh lights. but just wanted to point out with pc you can keep lps with no problems. sps corals is a different story. i also currently have pc lighting, but will be upgrading to t5ho shortly..

dnvrbrown

I just bought a NEW 48" system with 2 Metal Halide lamps and 6 LED moon lights for $189.99 plus shipping. If your interested in the details, send me a message and I'll fill you in.

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by dnvrbrown
http:///forum/post/3103523
I just bought a NEW 48" system with 2 Metal Halide lamps and 6 LED moon lights for $189.99 plus shipping. If your interested in the details, send me a message and I'll fill you in.
If those are the one off e-bizzy or aquatraders I would replace the ballast and bulb still cheaper then a whole name brand fixture.
Since the 55g is not a deep tank I would go individually reflected T5.

bizzmoneyb

honestly i would go with the nova extreme pro system.
ive seen awesome tanks that use that light.. its not super expensive and you can keep just about anything with that and its not as hot and power sucking as halides.
i have a 2x250 halide setup and wish i wouldve went with the nova instead.
dont even waste your time with PCs. for about the same money you can get a T5 system and keep much more.

dlux4life

What are some of the lower light corals that could be kept under a PC system like this? I understand that LPS, shrooms and some anemones could survive under relatively stronger PC lighting but am unfarmiliar with some of the specific specicies of each. I am essentially looking for considerably heartier corals, lower lighting requirements, able to survive in moderate currents? I have two Black and White False Percula Clowns in the tank, 60 lbs of fiji pink live sand, and 40 lbs of live rock as a means of starting the amonia cycle and am looking at getting some hartier corals that will provide them a habitat to survive.
I was looking at some Bubble Tip Anemones and a Leather Toadstool. Do you think that Brain coral would be able to survive?
If needed, I can give more specifics about my set up concnering filtration, water movement, heating...ect.