Lighting for a 140 reef!?

cafero702

I have a 140 tank with currently power compacts 2 12000k daylight and 2 True blue actinics and all 4 of them are 96watts. so thats 384 watts.
Is this a good amount of lighting to make my 140 a good reef tank i am only trying for Soft corals and some LPS's.

cafero702

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3099919
I thought I just commented on this
I would go with minimum of T5-HO
JMO
Lol ya after i posted it i thought it should go in the lighting forum.(slight mistake)
well if i upgrade i will most likley go to MH
but in my lighting will my corals spread? or just look good and healthy like they do now??

nycbob

every tank is unique, so its hard to say whether it will thrive in ur system. try a few softies like leathers 1st. u should hold off on the lps. lps actually hv the same requirement as sps.

cafero702

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3100265
every tank is unique, so its hard to say whether it will thrive in ur system. try a few softies like leathers 1st. u should hold off on the lps. lps actually hv the same requirement as sps.
Yes i have a couple leathers now 2 toadstoolds and a yellow leather they r doing great. also some colts and polyps and Xenia. Everything looks awesome but will they spread in my lighting???

cafero702

Well ive been searchen the web checking prices on MH i found some pretty nice ones
I found 250/400W HQI Double Ended Pendant by IceCap. It can either hold a 250watt bulb or a 400watt bulb ofcourse im going with the 400w.
Its a single pendandt so im getting 2 of them so that would be a total of 800watts from MH This is very great lighting right???
I think ill have enough room in my canopy(its a large canopy) to keep my PCS where they are at and put a single pendant on each side also would that be even better that more then 1000 watts
is this good???
I was wondering im going to order the bulb and i can either get a 10k 400watt bulb or a 14k 400 watt bulb Which one is the best?? And what is the diffrence???

bulldog123

400w are more for deeper tanks. If you have a problem with bleaching or overheating you can raise them up. With MH and PC that is going to be very hot. Have you checked into chillers. You maybe alright but just be prepared to spend the money. Its your decision. JMO, keep us updated.

bulldog123

10k are more yellow
14k are more blue and better for our viewing
That is so much light I would go with 14k or even 20k. What kind of reflectors are you going with.

cafero702

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3102421

250w is blinding bright and very hot.... never heard of a 400w
So you think the 250w ones would be enough??
Once i get the MH's id like to keep LPS, SPS, Calms is this possible?? MH's are the best type of lights from what i understand for a reef tank.
Im just worried the 250watts arent enough still, my tank is about 22" deep.

cafero702

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3102454
10k are more yellow
14k are more blue and better for our viewing
That is so much light I would go with 14k or even 20k. What kind of reflectors are you going with.
From what im reading it says it is**The computer designed reflector system incorporates the 95% reflectivity of “Alanod Miro 4”, the best reflective material available.**
Then it just says its made with 95% reflective aluminum. Is this good????
And my tank is 22" deep is 400 too much still??

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3102471
what size is your tank
it is a 140 gallon about 6 ft long and 22" high i just measured it
My canopy is about 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall its pretty tall i was going to put the MH's inside screw them to the top of my hood so they will be a nice little distance from my tank so im not too worried about the heat from it im also going to mount a fan so it blows right out the back but if there is a problem i am willing to go toa chiller no problem.

cafero702

And i was also considering taking the 2 daylight bulbs out and just having 4 true blue actinics in my PC lights then the 2 MH's
would the MH's give my tank enough lighint i neeed alone to keep anything i desire??lol

bulldog123

Look at the LumenMax lights. I not trying to talk you out of the 400w but there is going to be alot of heat and the use alot more electric too and look at the cost of bulbs also. With just two 400w mh you could keep anything you want. But you may end up with shadows in spot(you may not like/no pc added) and I would guess that low light corals are not going to be able to get out of the intence light. You are looking at top quality lighting so just take it slow and keep asking question. Dont go off of my opinion only. And by the way im putting together 48"x24"x24" and only planning on 250wmh with T-5s. You also might want to look at three 250w instead of the two 400w. Im not sure if it will help that much spreading the light because you are able to lift your lights so high off the tank. With all that said if the extra cost isnt a problem and you have no problem with possible having to buy a chiller I would go with the 400w. Are you confused yet, I have been since I started this hobby in Dec.

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3102910
Look at the LumenMax lights. I not trying to talk you out of the 400w but there is going to be alot of heat and the use alot more electric too and look at the cost of bulbs also. With just two 400w mh you could keep anything you want. But you may end up with shadows in spot(you may not like/no pc added) and I would guess that low light corals are not going to be able to get out of the intence light. You are looking at top quality lighting so just take it slow and keep asking question. Dont go off of my opinion only. And by the way im putting together 48"x24"x24" and only planning on 250wmh with T-5s. You also might want to look at three 250w instead of the two 400w. Im not sure if it will help that much spreading the light because you are able to lift your lights so high off the tank. With all that said if the extra cost isnt a problem and you have no problem with possible having to buy a chiller I would go with the 400w. Are you confused yet, I have been since I started this hobby in Dec.
haha ya im pretty confused on the lighting thats why ive been searching so hard so i make a perfect purchase. Ifound out the 400watt ones dont come with a ballest so i would have to buy those also it added up a little high so i found some retro fit kit that seems perfect for what im looking for they are 250watts and i was thinking about going for the 14000k bulbs there not too pricey and if i drill them to the top off my canopy it will kill some of the heat i also found some internal fans i can install there only 20 bucks. Im pretty set on this set up the 2 250watt MH's but i am still looking and being very cocious before my purchase so i dont regret it lol.
Does this sound alot better at least? 2 250watts i could do 3 But do you think it will really be necessary??

cafero702

O and does anyone perfer some of these brands over others??
Coralvue
Reeflux
XM
Aqualine
Hamilton
Pheonix
Ushio
and 14000k or 20000k??

bulldog123

Yea computer fans are cheap and hook together work great. I say that is pleanty of lights and if there are shadows you can add more later. As for bulbs im not sure but I think they should cost about 70-90 each. Ushio I pretty sure is a good brand along with phoenix. If you are adding pc's I would go with 14k. If there are no pc's maybe 20k.

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3103618
Yea computer fans are cheap and hook together work great. I say that is pleanty of lights and if there are shadows you can add more later. As for bulbs im not sure but I think they should cost about 70-90 each. Ushio I pretty sure is a good brand along with phoenix. If you are adding pc's I would go with 14k. If there are no pc's maybe 20k.
Well i have a pc set up of 4 with 2 actinics in it already and 2 daylights i was thinking of when i get the MH's just taking th 2 daylights out and having 4 actinics with the MH's