Lighting for an anenome???

cincijoe

I have a 75 gallon with 4X65watt pc lighting. Is this enough to house a BTA or do I need to go to halides?
Joe

T

thomas712

Halides would be nice, but you might be albe to squeek by with your pc's. Depends on how much rock you have and if the anemone is able to get close to the lights, at least in the upper half of the water column.
If you can go MH then deffenatly do it.
Thomas

cincijoe

Thanks, I have plenty of rock for it to move closer to the light, but I think it might be better to make the investment for the MH's.......Is there a certain brand of ballast/light that's better than the others?

I have always had mine under VHO(Icecap). I've had the anemone or one of its clones for about five years and it has flourished.

bang guy

I agree that MH isn't required. I suggested it because I'm ignorant of Joe's skill level and MH will definately give better odds of success.

cincijoe

BangGuy,
How much watts per gallon am I looking for to keep the anenome healthy?
This is my first salt water tank, but it's been up and running for almost two years now.
Joe

T

thomas712

For E. Quadricolors 4wpg +
For most others 5wpg +
Most carpets 6wpg +
Just my opinion

viper_930

I agree with Thomas, but keep in mind the size of the tank. 13 watts on one of those .75 gallons would equal the same WPG as 1300 watts on a 75. But an anemone can live under the 1300 watts on the 75, but not the 13 watts on the .75. Of course, it won't be able to live long in such a small tank, but just leave that variable out in this example.

bang guy

Yep, 4 110's is fine. 175 watt MH is fine too. The price difference between 175 & 250 is almost insignificant though :D
If it were mine and I want to keep Anemone I would get a pair of HQI 250 watt MH. I'm a cheap SOB but I still consider it worth the extra for the 250's.