lighting question

mchizhik

can anyone tell me if using a 250 w HPS lamp is ok to use with my 55 gallon tank? I have the lamp, and want live coral with my fish. I wanted to know if it was imperitave to use a metal halide lamp only. I understand that it uses a different spectrum, but thought that it may work. Also, what about the temperature? Shut down the heater? do i need to wory about rust. someone throw me a bone.

bang guy

HPS will grow coral. Unfortunately the green/yellow light it puts out is very unattractive to look at. It makes the coral look ugly and the fish as well.
Your heater should have an adjustable temperature setting. If it doesn't then throw it away and get one that does. Better yet, get two smaller ones instead of one large.
If you find that your tank temperature climb higher than your liking then a small fan or two pointed at the water surface will keep it cool. Set the fans to come on with the lights.
You absolutely must worry about rust. If the lamp isn't built for a high humidity area then it could short out or worse.
* Opinion mode *
Adding more light may cause your tank temp to climb. As long as the max temperature is between 80F and 85F you don't need to do anything else. You should set the heater 1 or 2 degrees lower than the max temp so that the temperature is not allowed to fall overnight when the lights are off.

mchizhik

Thank you for the help. It's appreciated. I think that im going to stay away from the "strong light" corals, until i can afford a new MH/ acatinic hood set-up. One of those jobs with fans built in. Thank you again for confirming my suspicions. Mike.