Lighting question

pattycake

I have a 55 quarium that I purchased at Wal-mart. It came with 2 lights that holds 2 18-20"(?) long bulbs. Can I use the bulbs that I would need for corals/anemones in these fixtures? Or am I going to have to buy the whole thing?
:notsure:

biggie18

No..those lights are not near what you need. They only put out about .22 watts per gallon and you need anywhere from 3.5 to 8 to grow corals and anemones. I found a used power compact for $150 and it gives me 4.7 watts per gal. But if you have the cash you should just go with an Ice-Cap and some VHO bulbs.

pattycake

I know that I will need new bulbs but do they make them to fit the fixtures that I have and will it be enough light? I will have two sets of 2 bulbs that are 18-20 inches long. Or do the bulbs I need only come in long 3-4 ft size?

biggie18

No, there are no lights that will work with the basic fixture that you have now. Its not the bulbs thats the problem its whats powering the bulbs. There is a bulb that you can get that claims it gives 40% extra light from a basic fixture but still not enough for reef acomodations. Look for a 48" power compact unit, for starters...I once found one with 4 newer bulbs, 2 fans, moon lights, 2 light switches...etc for $150 used. Or if you plan on upgrading look into a Ice-cap and MH's. Basically if you want lighing for coral/anemones you will be spending a couple hundred bucks.

pattycake

OK!! Thanks Biggie18, sorry for the double talk I am like everyone else, want the best for less. Guess your right, couple of hundred and I will be there! :D

bang guy

URI = Ultraviolet Resources International = It's a company that makes high end flourescent light bulbs.

biggie18

The coralife bulbs are the "40% extra light" bulbs. They have a built in reflector and either way no matter what bulb you put in your fixture theres not enough power for reef life. You will need to buy a power compact or a ballast with VHO bulbs.