lighting question

hunterdaddy

how many gallons?? what type of lighting? spectrum?
Good rule of thumb is 3.5-4 watts per gallon.
I have PC lighting that is about 3.8 watts per gallon in my 55 gal but it isn't strong enough to keep clams.
I have a 100 watt light bulb in my ceiling but that isn't enough for any corals cept maybe mushrooms.

php

is vho the one that gets hotter cuz id be getting the one that doesnt get as hot...

j21kickster

then nope- some mushrooms- and well...... that is not much to keep any thing- i would normally say nonphotosyenthetic corals- but by judging the question i woud say you arent ready for them- thay are challanging

php

i have polyps and ricordia and shrooms in there now all doing fine off a 50/50...and sponges

reefnut

pHp, 96w in a 55 is not enough light for a coral reef tank. In my opinion between 5-6 watts per gallon for soft corals is good.
There is a difference between "Sustaining" life and providing an environment that the corals can grow and flourish.

php

reefnut, what do you use to cool your water? and how many fans do you have for your lights?

php

by the way the lights I want are power compact and i would want them for soft corals such as leathers,gonapora,grape coral etc..is 96 good for that?

reefnut

pHp, I do not use anything to cool my water. The temp stays around 80deg with the lights on or off. I have two fans in the canopy... As far as 96w good for soft corals, again IMO, no. That is giving you less than 2-watt per-gallon, although watts per-gallon is only a rule of thumb.
I feel your pain :D I too was there once. The lights are expensive, you need a larger canopy for halides... etc...
Ro/DI water, skimmers, Sumps, Refug, calcium reactor... the list never stops :D and for a pour working guy like me money don't grow in the back yard.
But, the fact is, this is not a cheap hobby and as a hobbyist you need to provide adequate conditions for the live stock you select.
You will find varying opinions on watts-per-gallon for soft corals. Some say 3-4 is adequate, personally I had a 55g for two years that had 6wpg of VHO's and the soft corals were growing everywhere.

I just recently Bought a PC with 2-96watt, 10k and a actnic. when i just have the 10k it looks cool but with both one you really see a big big differnece. Not trying to be rude, but this is a expensive hobby. You need to fork out the money in order to keep them healthy and alive. Yes they might be doing good, your only keeping them alive. With more and better lights you will be Healty and huge corlas that will spread and be amazed what a better light will do. I know im only allowed a certain type of corals under my lights but im expiremnting with this till i get my 240 going and spending close to $1000 on just the canaopy and lights and fans. Spend the few extra bucks. Before you buy anyhting, POST IT. if you need some links for cheap lights let meknow.

reefnut

One more thing. The most important advise you or anyone will ever get. Something I wish someone would have shared with me. No matter what happens, no matter how hard they try NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER ALLOW YOUR SPOUSE TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH YOU HAVE SPENT :D
I made the mistake of tracking expenses on MS Money. Worst mistake I've ever made... :(

php

well guys i bought new lighting today...however i didnt buy 96 watts..now i have 160 watts in my tank looks good my leather is comming to life now thank god..i figure i'll do this untill i can get more what does everone think did i make a better choice?

krux

160 is definately better than 96!
if you wanted to get as much light as possible over that tank, without going for halides, you could either get 4 48" vho bulbs to fit over that, or you could get a hood that held 4 55 watt pc bulbs. the better of the two would be 4 vho bulbs i believe for total maximum wattage.
i was at a lfs today and they had some slim halide reflectors. looking at some possibilities for a set up for my next tank, we found that over a tank that is only 12 inches front to back, you could fit a slim reflector (only 4 inches) and 2 vho bulbs, but you need to use an insulated heat resistant material between the wood and the reflector, i would mount the reflector on posts about 1/2 inch from the barrier to give room for air circulation, and it would be a bit rishy to go for 250/400 watt halides due to the heat generation. 175's would be more than fine.
there are a number of people on ---- that sell dual 175 halides mounted on a reflector that will fit over a 55 gallon tank for around 250 dollars with bulbs. you might want to consider saving for something like that instead of buying another set of lights that will eventually need to be upgraded again when you change your list of organisms you want to keep.
on a side note, the price difference between 175 and 250 watt halides are minimal, so as long as you can take care of the heat issues, you might want to ask about the price of upgrading wattage, since a 55 is deep enough to begin making use of the higher wattage.
good luck!

php

coralcollector, listen i am 16 years old i have no job and i just spent 200 bucks on a new lighting system and now am beyond broke, if you read this post you would know that this is just untill i get some money to add more lighting,sorry to seem rude but that aggrivated me sorry again