lighting question

hunterdaddy

I have 4 -55 watt PC 2 actinic 2 are 15 k i think maybe 10. In a 55 gallon that is just about enough to keep anything except clams pretty happy. I have had no problem keeping shrooms toadstools trumpets I also had 2 very very nice colts although they died due to salinity problems.
4 55 watt PCs should keep you pretty good
what you have now will probably keep you good if it is PC or VHO. If it is just normal aquarium lighting though you won't have much luck.
A much cheaper way to go would be to keep a fish only tank. That way you can use whatever lightis you want.

vibe

yeah i went to php's house to see the tank, all looks good. his new light is an Aqualight 130 watt 48" fluorscent compact lamp. the tank looks sweet. he also has 2 15 watt 50/50s on there. he is pumping about 160 watts over the tank. his corals are doing nicely. 160 watts over a 55 gallon, is about 2.9-3.0 watts per gallon. it should be good until he gets more lights. i ahve the same problem with the money infolw, but my tank is five times smaller, so its 5 times cheaper:p

php

listen coral collector, thankyou for telling me it's a expensive hobby because i didnt know that. you saved me there.If you want to attack me then please don't respond to my posts, because you're not helping me your attacking me and my parents help me with money for things i really need to keep things alive, i really don't appreciate what you said

I think what he was trying to tell you that so many people want a reef tank but doesnt research itthroughly. I know the money problem also i work in constrruction and can only work when the suns out, But try looking online to buy stuff it will be almost half what you would pay at your lfs. Sometimes look under classifieds in the forum and many people sel light s cheap. Also try looking at ----, they always have good light for sale. If you need need more help just post it, people are trying to tell you what you need to do in order to maintain a healhty tank. Good luck in this hobby......James

patrick

Very well said! Careful not to take what people say personal. It is only to point you in a better direction at keeping a healthy tank. ;)

slappy

i have 130 watts on a 20gal, and i still want more, theres a lot of websites to get good lighting for cheap, just have to look around a bit, goodluck

shep

55 gallon with 96 watts is good for fish only or gorgos and sponges and non light things. watts per gallon is really stupid rule in all honesty.you must take into consideration depth of tank and surface area of tank.
90 gallon vs 95 gallon...you are talking 6 inches difference in how tall they are.it will take more than a few watts to make that up.
I have a 125 with 4 110w vho's, 4 75w vhos, and 4 30w no's. Yes I even have a dark spot in the tank for the sponges.
lights depends on how far you want to go down through the water. the shallower the water the less light needed.