lighting

viet-tin

I jus bought a 100 gallon and im thinking about getting some hard corals n maybe some softs. What kind of bulbs should i get, 10,000k or 15,000k?

alison

:happyfish Hi, I'd do at least dual 250 10k's and maybe a vho for actinic. Also, do elecronic balast, it's quieter I guess than magnetic balast, and runs cooler. -ali

viet-tin

i might want to get some clams and any coral that seems interesting to me. This will be my first reef tank so there is a lot that i have to learn.

alison

:happyfish Sure you could. A lot of people do half mh, half vho or pc's. I would post an ad in the classifieds here when ready, and I bet there will be at least one person selling mh when your ready. Just make sure they come w/ the bulbs. The bulbs alone are pricy. I myself am updating to mh from pc's. W/pc's there's always a space issue, and you can only fit so many pc's under a hood. W/ mh, you can do mh and vho and compacts under a hood. You just have to get fans. I've heard doing 2, 3inchers one blowing out, one blowing in is pretty adequate. Good luck, and no this isn't a cheap hobby. Sounds like you at least now know the basics, to get you in the right direction. Good luck, ali

alison

:happyfish Hi, A balast for mh's is the motor that runs the lights, not really a motor though. As for the 13k question, I dono, you should ask in the do it yourself forumn. Good luck, ali

alison

:happyfish Hi, vie-tin I heard that doing 13k is better than 10k when I looked. I guess the 10k's are a little more yellow than the 13k's. Best of luck, ali

alison

:happyfish Hey smooth9, I have a 55 gal. also, and am looking to upgrade to mh myself, and was wondering how is the heat issue for ya with the 2- 250's? Do you just have to use a fan or a chiller, and also do you have magnetic or elecronic balast, and also could you submit a photo maybe for me to take a look at what that kind of lighting looks like in a 55 gal. reef? Thanks a bunch, ali