lighting

saltywaters

We are looking for new lighting for our new 90g tank. Can you recommend a good T5HO light? We are looking for lighting that will give us the option to have any corals. This is the setup we're looking at, but hate to have to hang it.
48" ATI 4x54W Powermodule T5 High-Output Fixture w/ Bulbs
This site they want $559.00
I tried to post a link, but can't figure out how...

J

jstdv8

I paid 359 plus shipping for the nova extreme pro 6 light individual reflectors.
was reccomended to me by quite a few members on this site. im happy with it so far. the bulbs are not as good as the ATI but alot better than the PC's i had before. So im going to go with ATI bulbs when its time to replace. the fixture has dual fans built in that come on when you switch the lights on and it has two switches, one for actinics and one for daylights (if you place the bulbs every other one).
Shipping to AK was only 25 bucks so to my door was 380.00

J

jstdv8

BTW, mine is also a 90 gallon.
Im getting 324 watts, so thats 3.6 watts per gallon which isnt too bad for under 400.00

J

jstdv8

Also, the sundial 48" with 4 bulbs is only 279.00 plus shipping not 489.00
the sundial is like the extreme pro extept that it also has its own built in timers to get the dusk to dawn effect. the extreme pro you have to have your own timers. both have individual refelectors, the pro has 6 lights the sundial has 4. both will come with the same bulbs at they are both made by Current USA

cajonez

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3197619
I paid 359 plus shipping for the nova extreme pro 6 light individual reflectors.
was reccomended to me by quite a few members on this site. im happy with it so far. the bulbs are not as good as the ATI but alot better than the PC's i had before. So im going to go with ATI bulbs when its time to replace. the fixture has dual fans built in that come on when you switch the lights on and it has two switches, one for actinics and one for daylights (if you place the bulbs every other one).

Shipping to AK was only 25 bucks so to my door was 380.00
Have you looked closely at what the switches control? I have this same fixture and thought that I had a bad light at first. When I started messing around with it I noticed that 1 switch controls 2 of 3 actinics and the other switch controls the daylight + 1 actnic. It isn't really a big deal, but I thought it was kinda odd.

spanko

Originally Posted by cajonez
http:///forum/post/3197700
Have you looked closely at what the switches control? I have this same fixture and thought that I had a bad light at first. When I started messing around with it I noticed that 1 switch controls 2 of 3 actinics and the other switch controls the daylight + 1 actnic. It isn't really a big deal, but I thought it was kinda odd.
You can of course change the controlled bulbs by changing the bulb positions. Kind of a captain obvious statement on my part but thought I would through it out there anyway.

spanko

Yup. This would be IMO to simulate dawn - daylight - dusk in the tank. Have two bulbs come on in the morning for about an hour, then the 4 bulbs are added and run for your daylight photoperiod - say 8 hours, then the 4 bulbs fo off and the two bulbs stay on for another hour. This should also be able to be done with timers. You do have two power chords running to the light - correct? One powers the two light switch and one powers the 4 light switch.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3197621
Also, the sundial 48" with 4 bulbs is only 279.00
plus shipping not 489.00
the sundial is like the extreme pro extept that it also has its own built in timers to get the dusk to dawn effect. the extreme pro you have to have your own timers. both have individual refelectors, the pro has 6 lights the sundial has 4. both will come with the same bulbs at they are both made by Current USA
WOW...I have never seen it that cheap....

J

jstdv8

meowzer, I think that price might be for the 6 light if they have one. I thought they did, but i cant locate it anymore.
after your post got me thinking I had made a mistake so i looked them up again and found 4 of the top 6 sites on the search engine with 279.00
I also forgot to mention the sundial has the LED moonlight system that my nova extreme doesnt.

saltywaters

From what we've been reading, the T5s are really probably better for our situation and needs. I know that many are devoted to halides, but we like less maintenance with the T5s. The bulbs don't have to be replaced for 12 months, so that's always a plus.

wangotango

None of the other fixtures mentioned can even touch the ATI Powermodule in terms of quality and output. If you wanted to go with the Powermodule then I would use the 6-bulb unit rather than the 4-bulb. The ATI Sunpower is similar, but has a different housing which isn't as sleek and sexy as the Powermodule but is a bit cheaper.
Not sure how the price compares to the the ATIs, but the 7-bulb Aquactinics Constellation would also be a good choice.
-Justin

J

jstdv8

that is a nice light, but its twice the price. for that price id get myself some halide/t5's