Limestone as baserock ?

tx reef

You can definately use limestone as base rock. I have about 30lbs in my reef. The only problem I have with limestone is that it is very dense & heavy....

wattsupdoc

PH is 8.0 just now. I think if I can get home early enough tomorrow I'll rinse and add it to the 125. With 3 to 4 lbs. per gallon I think if it was gonna raise the ph it wouldnt be dropping now.

tx reef

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
PH is 8.0 just now. I think if I can get home early enough tomorrow I'll rinse and add it to the 125. With 3 to 4 lbs. per gallon I think if it was gonna raise the ph it wouldnt be dropping now.

You have nothing to worry about....some people don't know what they are talking (typing
) about.

bang guy

Yep.

stonedage

white portland cement is made buy mixing clay, limestone, silica sand, gypsum and a few other chemical additives and then melted together in a kiln to about 1700*C then put through some mills until it gets it to the proper fineness. there is a little more to it but this is the basics.....i work at a cement mill
masonary cement is close to the same but it is portland with extra amounts of hydrated lime, sodium glutomate and methocell.
SA

maeistero

having grown up in stl and now in kc for the last 20yrs, i'm a 4th generation fish guy. i know the missouri area ozark country like the back of my hand.
i've used tons of different limestone from the area in my fresh and turtle tanks. mostly slate-looking pieces for shelf building.
my ph raises everytime i use a dry piece. if i pick it up from a canoeing trip from underwater it doesn't. but then you are facing parasites.
i believe texas holey rock to be a lot different than our area.
i haven't used any of my pieces for salt, but i thought i'd throw out my experience. it's really kickbutt cheap stuff for a planted cichlid tank once it's cured.

wattsupdoc

Thanks All!

PH is down to 7.8 now. I'm gonna add the rock thats been soaking right now. And I'll rinse some more and soak for a few hours, then add it. I was pretty sure it would work but allways want to check here first.
I'll post a pic in my 125 build thread! Ya'll are awesome!

Charlie

ophiura

Originally Posted by maeistero
i've used tons of different limestone from the area in my fresh and turtle tanks. mostly slate-looking pieces for shelf building.
my ph raises everytime i use a dry piece. if i pick it up from a canoeing trip from underwater it doesn't. but then you are facing parasites. .

Limestone will almost certainly raise the pH of freshwater systems unless it is a hard water system such as that for African Cichlids. It just all depends on the pH of the water you start with, IMO.

bill109

Thanks All!

PH is down to 7.8 now. I'm gonna add the rock thats been soaking right now. And I'll rinse some more and soak for a few hours, then add it. I was pretty sure it would work but allways want to check here first.
I'll post a pic in my 125 build thread! Ya'll are awesome!

Charlie
can we have a link to tht thread?