Limitations of VHO

sammyg

What types of corals are impossible to keep, regardless of how much VHO a tank has? I am interested in upgrading my lights to start keeping corals in my 45 high, and liked the idea of 4x95 watt, 2 10K and 2 actinic 03. If I had this set up, what couldn't I have? - lighting wise, that is :)

db

You would not be able to keep SPS corals under that lighting or certain types of clams. I can't remember which species require the most intense lighting. I'm sure someone else on the board could clear that up. You would be able to keep any softie and I would imagine almost any LPS. If you are going to spend that much money you might want to think about going with 2X 250w MH's and you could keep anything you want.

reefer44

I would have to say maybe sps corals....i don't know that much about vho but it seems like it would be pretty good light just not as intense as MH

bang guy

With VHO you should avoid Acropora sp., Maxima and Crocea Clams for sure.
There are a LOT of SPS corals that do great under VHO but you need to be very picky.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by SammyG
I am interested in upgrading my lights to start keeping corals in my 45 high,colighting wise, that is :)

How deep is your 45H tank?

sammyg

The depth of my tank is 12", 24" if we're talking depth of water.
Doing a VHO/MH combo is outside my desired price range, so if I go MH I would likely just get a single 175 or 250 watt bulb. What color temp would I want if I used just one MH and no actinic supplementation?
I did (and do) go to U of M - got my undergrad here and am now a grad student (I can't seem to escape this town).

spmnarciso

Originally posted by Bang Guy
With VHO you should avoid Acropora sp., Maxima and Crocea Clams for sure.
There are a LOT of SPS corals that do great under VHO but you need to be very picky.

Can you give me an example of a couple, please. I'd love to add one or two.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by SammyG
The depth of my tank is 12", 24" if we're talking depth of water.

Description of dimensions as related to fish tanks:
The 12" is width (front to back) and the 24 is depth (top to bottom), the only other description for depth could be height but since were talking water it is depth.
BTW side to side (your tanks greatest dimension) is called length.:D

bang guy

Most hobbiests I interact with refer to:
Width = Left to right
Height = top to bottom
Depth = front to back
Perhaps it's a local thing.