Lion Fish not eating (read other post regarding this issue) PLS HELP

Again ty for you r help. When u say reef tank. I just have live rocks and sand, no mushrooms or anything other than an anemone. I need to research anemone more. Mine was moving around and found out it was not happy. Anyway the lion did pass away. His skin was off, his tail was gone. Almost like it was being eaten. Nothing in my tank would eat him. They always stayed away from him. He was old had him for along time, so maybe they have an age limit. Who knows. It was weird. I guess what happened, I was away left my tank to be watched by my friend. When I came back the water in a 90 gallon tank was almost half way gone. Which of course the salt increased. Then trying to get my tank right again, maybe it stressed out my lion. I had also lost the really expensive angel fish. We found the fish and removed it. I have lost my niger trigger, thought he was accidentally thrown out with my water change. Only explanation for my .25 ammonia maybe he is under a rock stuck n dead. So next move is to get into the tank, well my arms that is and move some rocks to see if he is stuck under a rock. Thanks for your help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, a single anemone doesn't make the tank a reef, but, depending on the anemone, a tank not set up as a reef tank may not be the best option. Anemones can't tolerate ammonia either.

Sorry for the loss.

Well did a water change after the lion fish was removed from the tank and all is well. Will stop using the PH buffer, ammonia is down to 0 phew. Only issue I still have is the nitrate. In a week will do another smaller water change until it all shows in the right amounts. Thanks for your help. Oh I was saying I don't have a reef tank. At least don't think I have lol. Yeah sad he is gone, but he isn't suffering anymore. He use to yawn at me and try I think to spit at me. I will have to get another one eventually. Just making sure my water counts r ok first. Anemone has lived thru this issue which I think is amazing. Thanks for your help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember to seriously think about setting up a permanent hospital tank.

I will as soon as I can afford to do one.

Tested water before water change yesteray. Ammonia was 0.25, today after wc it is 0, My Nitrites yesterday was 0 today it is .25, it went up after water change that is so weird should of went down. This is driving me nuts. Nitrate up closer to 20 than 10. It was 10 yesterday. So this is weird water change didn't help much. Then again I am using API and some said their testing might be high, not correct. So if doing water change increases the counts, what is going on, It should of lowered the counts. I did a 1/3, well almost 1/3 water change. Giving me grey hair lol