Lionfish in the Bahamas

drpaul84

they just did a special on NBC nightly news about this and they said its possible that during hurricane Andrew that a bunch of them got released when an aquarium was destroyed. but yea there saying its a huge infestation stretching from the Caribbean up the east coast into the Carolinas and some even up in Massachusetts

ufo8micats

On CNN this morning there was a discussion about lionfish becoming overpopulated in the Bahamas, and killing off other natural inhabitants.
They actually showed them being caught with nets and removed.
Did you happen to see this CNN special?

paintballer768

Originally Posted by fisharefishy99
http:///forum/post/2668267
I agree. But, if we let this alone. What would happen? (This is pure speculation, not saying we should) Wouldn't the lionfish population grow a little more, then plunge dramaticaly by itself. Since no species can really grow exponentially forever without reprecussions. Since they would eventually run out of food? I think there isn't much we can do. But if you think about it, it MAY be better to leave them alone. If the ocean can sustain lets say... 10 million lionfish comfortably. And the lionfish get to a 12 million population, and people kill 2 million. Wouldn't that just allow the lionfish to be able to sustain themselves? If they get to 20 million. They would in theory all starved to death. I think once they have "eradicated themselves". Then we could step in and collect the left overs, or kill them if necessary. Although I never like the idea of killing something like that.
I might be talking like an idiot. But it's just a thought. Perhaps even a viable alternate route for this whole thing. I personally think we can't single handedly take enough lionfish to make a difference, then if we just let them go. Either way the environment will suffer. I think we should stop butting in and let it take care of itself.
I like this idea, but our only concern is what kind of a time frame this would take place in. Obviously we have no ways of telling, but I say time frame because it could hurt the ecosystem even moreso, and I highly doubt we will ever be able to clear the lions from the Bahamas, unless we begin nuclear warfare against them.

groupergenius

For those who think it's "no big deal", think of all the fish and inverts that are in the trade that come from Caribbean, Florida, and Mexican waters. Those stocks will be greatly diminished. Any ecosystem that has developed over a very long time frame allready contains what it can support as far as predator and prey. There becomes a natural balance to keep both parties in check. Introducing a new, prolific, predator will dessimate the prey population.
Doing nothing is not the answer. The idea of capturing these alive and putting them back on a market where obviously unethical hobbiest have allready proven to exist, is crazy IMHO.

cowfishrule

something must eat these things. maybe it'll draw in bigger fish, because they will eat the lions.
lionfish
tigersharks
bearasses
oh my !

sepulatian

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2672125
something must eat these things. maybe it'll draw in bigger fish, because they will eat the lions.
lionfish
tigersharks
bearasses
oh my !
That would make the issue worse, as I am sure you were aware when posting this.

nacl freak

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2645083
So, is there going to be an effort to eradicate, or reduce the lionfish population, or is basically a lost cause now?
From news paper article today : It states that fishermen are encouraged to capture and divers to report sitings for eradication.

chilwil84

they have been sighted off new jersey and new york in ship wrecks for a while now. the common thought about there origin is ballast water release because many are found pretty close to the release point of ships coming into northeast harbors, rather than the six that were released from someones aquarium in florida(i think thats the state) stated in the news article that made many papers.

tigerbarb

It'd be kind of cool if restaraunts made lionfish the new limited edition *special*, available while supplies last or something until they are gone from the Bahamas. It would only work if the restaraunts, by law, had to immediately just quit serving lionfish, simple as that, the moment they are out of their non-native waters. Afterall, lionfish are a type of rockfish.
I do agree that the younger lionfish could be caught and sold to the aquarium trade buisnesses.
It's only 100% right by every mean that if we have to eradicate these animals, we have to use what we've killed and serve them for food. It's the least we can do for such fascinating animals.

harlequin

I read about someone in a holding station out in the Pacific wandering through with the article writer and they came across a weak lion. The native simply pulled it out of the tank, skinned it and ate it raw like sushi, so they are definately edible. As much as i dislike the fishing industry, this would be a great idea if it would catch on. All it would take is one high class or popular resturant to start selling them and it would catch on.
IDEA!!!! Anyone who goes to eat at seafood resturants, start asking for lionfish. If they look at you funny tell them you ate them on vacation in FL and they were great(I am a bad person for this since I hate fish personally because of the fishy taste but hey). People eat buffalo by demand, why not lions?
Hehe i am going to start doing this, knowing that odds are it wont backfire on me.
On a side note, has anyone tried requesting American caught lions from the few collectors here in the West?

snakeblitz33

Hmm, I wonder what Lion fish tastes like.
"Yes, waiter, I'll have the tuna roll, the salmon roll, and, how's the lionfish roll today?"

dani

The situation with the Lionfish in an unnatural ecosystem (eastern states/Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico) is a dangerous thing.
No matter what view you take on it, there is always going to be a group in opposition. The reefs are in desperate need of extreme conservation. Most recently, the devastation of reef along the Florida coast was horrible. So many factors are contributing to the delicate balance in the waters, that whatever choice conservators, lawmakers, and the open public take - it will be a long and arduous task.
I recently took an Oceanography class and the professor is a scientist studying the dolphins in the bahamas along with the effect of the Lionfish rapid take-over of the waters. They are working to find a solution to the problem.
Personally, I believe that the least invasive way of eradication with minimal impact to the ecosystem would be optimal. However, that is probably short of a miracle. Anytime a "nuissance" species is addressed, another suffers. Hopefully, the Lionfish dilemma can be solved with patience and strict guidelines.
I have not seen any lions while snorkeling off the West Palm Beach & Jupiter, FL waters. I have seen some amazing French Angels and Foxface.

dcoyle11

The resort my family stayed at this year was already spearing every lion fish they saw. they think they as of june 08 had killed around 800 of them.. they were not very happy that they were in their waters.

harlequin

Thats outstanding Dcoyle. Hope that happens more often. As much as I love lionfish, they need to go. I dont see foxfaces as that disruptive. Alot of the reef's problems is algae overgrowth due to a lack of urchins. Yes, I know that anytime you release alien species there is possibility for bad things to happen but only time will tell.

mustang1979

well hopefully stonefish don't establish a population in the atlantic, they'll be a lot of dead tourist who touch the reef......
I have heard of the lions in the news, but my question is how do they survive in waters all the way up to long island ny!?!?! Even the carolina's water gets cold in the winter..

scrombus2

There's several native species in the Atlantic that are closely related to stonefish, complete with venomous spines.
I just read thru this thread again, I'm glad it's still breathing. As far as collecting lionfish in FL, it's a non-native species and as such is unregulated- fair game! IMO, the safest way to collect a lion is to

[hr]
it. The ones I've seen in FL waters were all in 65-100+ ft. depths and were docile enough to almost grab- I know, not a good idea! Seeing what non-native freshwater fish have done to the lakes and canals of S. FL I will kill any lionfish on sight.