live rock---help---please

patrickwebb

ok so i took all my live rock out and put it in a sealed cooler w/no light or heat for about seven days---the water had become stagnant and the water/rocks smelled really bad-i just rinsed them with water from a water change and put them back in there-the green and purple colors on the rocks have turned to a neon orange-however the aiptsia is all gone-did i ruin my live rocks or can they still be used in my tank- thanks!

1journeyman

It's not "ruined", but it's definitely not in good shape.
DO NOT place it into a tank right now that has anything alive in it. Your rock needs to be re-cured.

coral keeper

You should change all the water in the container and add a power head a heater and add like 3 lb of fresh live rock and let it re-cure.

R

rcreations

The rock is still usable but you need to cure it again.

browniebuck

I agree with CoralKeeper (would agree with BangGuy if $$$ were no object, but for me (a teacher), $$$ is very tight).
You need circulation in order keep things alive...I think you would have been better if the container was unsealed (still wouldn't have been good, but better). What you basically did by sealing the container is eliminated any oxygen that was there, hence, you more or less suffocated anything that was living on/in the rock (not to mention all of the waste that was produced...yuck).
Chalk this up to experience. You will eventually need something to mix saltwater in anyway, so get a large tub (I use a rubbermaid container that you would use for a party to store drinks and ice), a powerhead or 2, and a heater. You can use this to cure your now deadrock and then re-use the container as your water change mixer.

patrickwebb

can i put half of it in my tank and buy another 10 lbs because i only have a 20 gallon tall tank, add them in and let it sit?
and sit for how long??

If there is anything in your tank now, then NO I wouldn't put that rock in my tank until it was recured. If you put that rock in there now "as is" it will start the cycle process over again.

patrickwebb

yeah theres nothing in my tank-im gonna go pick up some more live rock tonite--how long do you think i should let it cycle?
i am new to the game, if you couldnt tell allready!

That question can't be answered because there are a lot of variables. Has your tank already been running or where you waiting on that live rock you had in the container? How much live rock and live sand will you have in your tank? It could take as little as a couple of weeks or months. It depends on how long it takes your beneficial bacteria to turn your ammonia into nitrates.

patrickwebb

the tank has been running for a little over a year-i bought it from a guy-from good old craigslist--he lived rite down the street from me, and when i bought the tank ha said that it was running for about a year-however his salt level was a bit high i ended up getting that down over a period of time,
i have 20 lbs of live sand 10 lbs of crushed coral 10 lbs of live rock now and a empty, but clean saltwater tank!! im getting a new test kit tomorrow-
do you think i need to get a power head? i also have the tank at 87 degress rite now - i thiught that would help the bacteria grow faster, will it?

Reading some of your posts you have a 20g tall tank? Personally I don't care for the crushed coral but that is your call and your preference. I would lower my temperature to what you are planning on running it somewhere in the 75°-80°F range. A powerhead would help create some flow as long as it is not blowing your sandbed around causing a dust storm. If you are using cured rock you might have to help kick start your cycle with some ghost feedings. If it is uncured rock with a lot of die off it should trigger the cycle just fine. I keep my salinity around 1.026 in my reef. You have to decide what you are going to keep in yours and decide what is best for you. Between 1.021-1.027 is what most people shoot for. You have read how the cycle process works right?? You will hear this all the time in this hobby "You must have patience". Go slow now and avoid fast trouble down the road.

1journeyman

1.026 for reef. Lower or higher stresses inverts, and just a few points in either direction can kill them.
Temp.. 78-82 is fine. Set it to keep from varying. No, raising the temp will not aid in bacterial growth. It will aid in killing more things which you don't want to kill.
Don't add an ammonia source. Trust me, that rock sitting in a cooler has plenty of dead matter to kick start a cycle.
Buy 3 test kits to track your cycle. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. Begin by testing for Ammonia. Do NOT let it get above 1ppm. As it gets close, do water changes.
As Ammonia falls Nitrite will rise. As Nitrite falls Nitrate will rise. When Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 and Nitrate has risen you are safe to add a small fish and a small clean up crew.