Live Sand

idgy

So confused! One thing about this hobby is so many different things work for different people.
I was told I should not add more sand to a tank the already has sand and if I do it must be slowly. Like add 1/2 a inch over a certain period of time.
Today I wrote a live stock online store and this was the answer I got.
You may add live sand on top of the sand you have.
The sand I have was not deep enough and I would like to make it deeper. Two year old tank and the sand I started with was not LS.
????? So do I add more or do I not?

aanthony

well alot of people buy high quality sand and use it to seed their sand, so i dont see why you wouldnt be able to add more sand, and the sand u have already is live sand

bonebrake

Originally Posted by IDGY
cool, but why add only 1/2 inch per week?
You'll cover up all of the aerobic bacteria that is accustomed to being "on top" and if you add too much at once you will trap it, suffocate it, and it will die underneath the newly added sand. You are essentially burying it alive if you add more than 1/2" per week. When you add a little at a time, it has a chance to move back up to the top and seed the new sand.
Since the bacteria in the sand is likely 50% or more of your biological filtration, if you cover it all up and kill it off you could have a mini-cycle depending on your bioload.
:joy: