Live Sand

joe53170

Hi all
My tank has been running for about 51/2 months now,
I have about 80lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand mixed with about 5 or 6lbs of crushed coral. The tank's inhabitants include,
1 CARPET
1 SEBAE
3 TOAD STOOL LEATHERS(AT ONE TIME IT WAS 1 BIG ONE BUT I TRIMMED IT INTO 3)
2 CBS
1 ANEMONE CRAB
1 FALSE PERCULA
1 FIRE FISH
3 FEATHER DUSTER'S
All parameter's are good except for the nitrates they are at 20
my question is I just purchased 15 pounds of live sand teaming with life, I should receive it by next monday.
Do I just dump it in?
Joe

carrie1429

Very slowly and carefully you put it in. Since you have anemones and leathers you need to be very careful, if you put in in too fast you will make the tank cloudy and the sand particles will get in the anemones witch will make them close up. Also be careful not to cover anything up. I use a cup and slowly lower the cup filled with sand down to the bottom of the tank then slowly pour it out.

carrie1429

Your tank shoulnd't go through a mini cycle. With 15 Lbs it shouldn't anyway. I added 20 Lbs to my tank and it didn't effect anything or go through another cycle or anything.

bang guy

It will probably not go through a cycle. It is all dependant on how well the critters survived the trip. Have a bottle of Amquel ready and test the water 12 hours after adding the new sand.
Most likely nothing will happen but be prepared and watch your tank inhabitants closely.