live sea fan in seahorse tank?

I am setting up a seahorse tank and wanted to know if you could successfully use a live sea fan in the tank...? Alot of people seem to use dead sea fans but I haven' found alot of information on using live fans?
Thanks for any input...

reefkprz

live sea fans need tonsof laminar current, not going to be ok for a seahorse tank. it'll die or your seahorses will be plastered againts the far wall.

reef_dart21

actually i have found out that seahorses LOVE stronger currents and the sea fans will allow them to stay in one place.......its an opinion not a fact

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by Reef_Dart21
http:///forum/post/2623181
actually i have found out that seahorses LOVE stronger currents
This thread is just about to get a whole lot more heated. I am just along for the ride but I would strongly advise AGAINST putting them into strong current.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Rays862
http:///forum/post/2624081
My response to strong current, this is my tank and explanation.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Vfj7gPlWgU
that is not strong current, well, maybe directly at the powerhead its considered strong current, but sea fans need BUKU current, the amounts of laminar flow needed to support a live seafan would be way too much for a seahorse tank, as there would be almost nowhere for the seahorses to catch respite. sure they have fun in some stronger currents but need low flow areas to rest, it would be nearly impossible without an extremly large tank to provide enough flow for the sea fan and provide proper resting areas for the horses.
you can see as soon as he lets go hes blown a very short way then he is out of the current..... thats not nearly enough flow for a seafan.
the needs of the coral make it a no go. feel free to try it the fan WILL die if the seahorses thrive.

reefkprz

there are several other gorgonia that are more suited to life in a seahorse tank like Pteregorgia's, that said most gorgonians even the photosynthetic ones need ample food to live long lives, so while they may do well for 6-8 months generally in "clean" tanks like seahorse tanks they eventually fail, slowly starving to death. most gorgonians being non photosynthetic need lots of food and pounding plankton into a horse tank is difficult at best.
talk to any one that has had long term success (2+ years) with ANY non photosynthetic gorgonian species, and they probably wont have them in a seahrose tank. in fact I think you will find Long term success stories are to be mostly found in species specific setups.

Thanks for all of the responses, I love to get as many opinions as possible!
I have purchased a beautiful small sea fan that I am going to try to make happy in one of my reef tanks. He is in QT right now and seems to be fine, all polyps out, etc... reefkprZ can you explain more about the currents you mentioned them needed, I don't know what BUKU means? What food do you recommend for the seafan to stay healthy?
I will try to find other things for the seahorse tank. I am still getting everything together for that and asking questions like this one before I get the seahorses. For those of you that have a tank already with seahorses, what size would you recommend as the best given your experience, I keep changing my mind and really want to do this right!

reefkprz

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2624555
reefkprZ can you explain more about the currents you mentioned them needed, I don't know what BUKU means? What food do you recommend for the seafan to stay healthy?
BUKU means lots. *S* do you have the species name of the seafan you purchased? that would help immensly.
a picture of it wouldnt hurt either.
laminar flow is what most seafans prefer/require wich is unusual for corals, fortunatly laminar flow is easy to provide, the shape of the fan will dictate the direction flow should blow through it, you want the flow blowing perpendicular to the flat of the fan that way it has the most surface area exposed to the flow.
Quote from Rob Toonen

[hr]
almost all gorgonians feed best at a flow rate of 10 - 15 cm/s
there are not many studies on the natural diet or feeding behaviors of gorgonians on coral reefs at all. The studies that have been done suggest that most gorgonians likely feed on a variety of small plankton, detritus, marine snow, phytoplankton and even bacteria (e.g., Coma et al. 1994, Ribes et al. 1998, 1999). Although these studies suggest that gorgonians will take a variety of prey items, all prey items consumed by gorgonians in the wild are very small, and gorgonians eat a lot of them.
Among those gorgonians lacking symbiotic zooxanthellae, much of the diet appears to derive from a range of tiny prey including invertebrate eggs and larvae, ciliates, copepods and other microzooplankton, particulate organic detritus, diatoms, dinoflagellates and other phytoplankton. For example, in the small-polyped gorgonian Paramuricea clavata, Coma et al. (1994) found that copepod eggs, copepod nauplii, other invertebrate eggs and larvae, and other small zooplankton (primarily 100-200 micrometer size range) prey items accounted for > 75% of the diet

[hr]
end quote
what can I say he explains it better than I can.

Here is a picture of it, it looks big but it is in a small HEX5 right now. I wasn't shopping for it, but I couldn't not get it...
that little tank in my emergency QT.

reefkprz

that would be a Gorgonia acabaria, beautiful, very tough to keep alive. needs a fairly steady stream of small planktons (zoo and phyto)

reefkprz

hey CF, could you do me a favor? there is a thread in the non photosynthetic forum about gorgonian ID, could you post your of your sea fan in that thread with its name? its type has not been posted yet, I think it would make a great addition to the thread.

Sure I can't post it there, when I found it at the lfs I ran to find someone to "let" me buy it. I had never seen a live one at a lfs for sale, of course where I live we are hurting for lfs.
Those foods, where would I get those? Are those like the bottles of liquid foods/supplements by Kent. Sorry, I know I am on a learning curve...

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/2624741
Those foods, where would I get those? Are those like the bottles of liquid foods/supplements by Kent. Sorry, I know I am on a learning curve...
well there are tons of filter feeder foods on the market like
coral frenzy
kent chromaplex
esv spray dried phytoplankton
do a google search on "plankton sale" and you can check out all kinds of products, remember when you choose one your looking for primarily 100-200 micrometer (micron) foods, having a food contain some higher and some lower isnt a bad thing though it can feed other things in your tank too.

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2624771
coral frenzy
kent chromaplex
esv spray dried phytoplankton
I found two of these online and ordered them and was able to find one this morning in the lfs and purchased. I have been putting in Essential Elements and Coral-Vite after water changes already. I will alternate these new ones a few times a week now. The fan is in QT right now, but will go into a display tank soon. I hope to keep it doing well.

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/2624741
Sure I can't post it there, when I found it at the lfs I ran to find someone to "let" me buy it. I had never seen a live one at a lfs for sale, of course where I live we are hurting for lfs.
CF confused as to why you can't post this pic with the I.D. in the Gorgorian thread in the non photosynthetic forum
? We're not asking you to sell it, we just want the pic posted for I.D. purposes in the thread.