Liver infection in Lionfish

dmoe

Hello everyone,
I have a successful 55gl fish only/w 2 jewel damsels,1 velvet
neon damsel & 1 beautiful Red Volitan Lion.Everythings cool & runnin great.My question is:When I went to my local fish store to purchase some feeders,the owner of the shop told me that goldfish can cause liver disease in Lions.I've never heard this before,& would like to know if there is any truth to this.
Thanks,
Dan Moriarty
Crittenden,Ky

moopiespoo

From what I've read and heard this is true. The same with feeding guppies. Silversides are okay for lions. It's best to get lions trained to eat frozen or fresh food(various seafood) as soon as possible. I use a skeewer to feed them so I can mimic the movement of live feeders. I also like to soak the food in zoe overnight for extra nutritional value.

bang guy

Goldfish do not have the correct balance of HUFAs and cause the liver to try to metabolize these inappropriate fats. The result is a lethargic Lionfish that is a lot fatter than it should be and yet always hungry because of malnutrition. The liver damage is caused by scarring from being bloated. It does not cause a liver infection.
Your Lionfish will act more alert, look better, and live longer if you feed marine based food.

dmoe

Thanks guys!Learn something new every day.Your explanations make sense & I think I'll get him used to taking non-live marine food ASAP.Don't think I'll have too much trouble as he is very aggresive & I've only had him about 6wks.Skewer idea sounds great.
Thanks again,
Dan Moriarty
Crittenden,Ky