lizard light sufficient?

kylecorson

hey all, ok, i have a friend that had a bearded lizard in a 50 gallon tank, the lizard just died of old age, and he said he would sell me that tank, stand, decor, and light for $300. my question is, he said that the light was meant for a lizard tank. it is a 50 gallon aquarium tank for fish. i don't know what the light is because i haven't seen it yet and he said he didn't know. but he said he special ordered it and it has 5 bulb attatchments and each bulb is capeable of 150 watts. my question is, do you think it is possible that i could use this light and turn that aquarium into a saltwater tank? again, im not sure exactly which light it is, but it sounds like if i put 2 or 3 bulbs in that it would be great!
again, he said he special ordered the light and that it is a very good lighting fixture. i believe he said it was flourecent lighting, but im not sure as i have not yet seen it and he couldn't really describe it too well. any thoughts, suggestions?
thanks!

loopy101

the tank after a really good cleaning would work for a saltwater tank but the lighting prolly not. correct me if im wrong please! never kepts reptiles but usually lights on reptile tanks are meant to give off extra heat for the lizards/snakes to help keep them warm. if that is correct about the lights you wouldnt want to use them on a saltwater tank.
just another thought maybe if the fixture will except different bulbs it might work?!?!

kylecorson

yeah i did think about that with the heat, i thought that maybe if i put a chiller in there along with a small clip on fan or two that it would disperse the heat enough?
thanks for the comment though, im just hoping that maybe it would work

meowzer

Is this $300 just for tank and stand...no equip (except lights) If so IMO $300 is kinda high for a used 50g tank.....You could buy a 55g set-up (with fw lighting though) that includes a filter for $190 brand new....sometimes less

scsinet

Originally Posted by kylecorson
http:///forum/post/3081691
yeah i did think about that with the heat, i thought that maybe if i put a chiller in there along with a small clip on fan or two that it would disperse the heat enough?
thanks for the comment though, im just hoping that maybe it would work

I've seen these lighting rigs... they take multiple screw in incandescent heat lamps. Totally unsuitable for doing anything other than growing algae and heating up the tank. It's definitely incandescent... there is no fluorescent technology that comes in 150 watt sizes. There are halides that come in that size, but you'll never find them over a reptile tank, let alone 5 of them over a 50g...
Why would you spend $500 on a chiller to avoid half that on basic lighting?
If you are planning to do a fish-only tank, then just go get yourself a cover and strip light, shouldn't cost more than 50-75 bucks. If you are doing a reef tank, you'll need new lights regardless, but they'll still cost less than a chiller if you shop around.
BTW... I agree with Meo... if all you can use is the tank and stand, $300 is no deal. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a used 50g and stand. You can get a brand new 55g tank for $120, and the stand shouldn't be too bad... $100 or so I'd expect.