looking for a mate

maxi

I'm so sad tonight. I lost my female Banggai today. She and her mate have been in my tank for almost 5 years, and have mated several times. My questions are 1)Will the male accept another mate? 2)If so, where can I find a tank-raised female? 3)What are the odds the male will survive without her? He looks so lonely. Bang Guy, please help.

maxi

Hard to tell if you don't have two. When they get older, the male's jaw will become sqaure and the female will be the larger of the 2.

bang guy

If you find a female they will pair instantly.
Keep in mind that 5 or 6 years is the natural lifespan for these fish so the male is probably nearing the end of a full life.
He will do just fine single should you choose that route.

maxi

Thank you so much for the regrets and the info. I will think it over before going ahead with another female.
Are there any sources for tank-raised banggai?

fishieness

bang: will they pair instantly in all aquariums? I have always loved bangii cardinals and have been wanting to try to breed fish..... are they realy taht easy to breed?!

bang guy

Originally Posted by maxi
Are there any sources for tank-raised banggai?
Do you have a local reef club? Often someone in the club will breed Banggai.

bang guy

Originally Posted by fishieness
bang: will they pair instantly in all aquariums? I have always loved bangii cardinals and have been wanting to try to breed fish..... are they realy taht easy to breed?!
If you put a male and a female Banggai in a tank they will pair nearly 100% of the time. IMO Banggai are the easiest Saltwater fish to breed. The fry are easier to raise because they are born quite large and have no plantonic stage.

fallinmor

yeah the femals dorsal fin is not as long as the males but u can only tell when they get older like a year old.