looking for skimmer

well i have a 55 gallon sittin in the garage that i want to set up. i haven't been gettin to set it up because we move alot... hopefully this is our last move for another couple of years. haha but yeah. hopefully i will set it up soon.

posiden

Originally Posted by jamesvishiou
http:///forum/post/3285877
so whats the best hang on skimmer?
Did you read the links I posted?
I, myself am not a skimmer person. I never have been one that felt like a tank "needs" one. I am happy to see the recent tests being done the last couple of years. Only I feel that they will be overlooked and disreguarded for some time since it goes against all the things folks have come to know as fact. Lots of money has lined the pockets of skimmer manufacters. Its my opinion that a well tuned and maintained DIY skimmer will do the exact same thing a $900 skimmer will. In fact the current tests prove that. The fact is,(so far) skimmers can only remove just so much from the water column. The thing behind skimmers is like the link says, bubbles are cheap and the airation they provide the tank is a good thing. They all got to the same point. Plus or minus a few percent. It mentions in the link about the frequency of emptying the cup. That is a subjective thing IMO. If one skims more wet....then it will need to be emptied more frequently. So take that for what its worth.
Maybe acrylic51 will come back to the thread and offer his opinion. Maybe he will show us his info and the numbers that he was referencing?? My info says that just about all skimmers are the same. Maybe he could at least come back and tell me where I am wrong in the info I posted? I am not trying to be a a$$ about this. Really I'm not. I am just a.........its either black or its white kind of person.

Posiden, since you do not use a skimmer, do you know where your tank thread is? no. i have not read the links you posted. i will check it out now.

posiden

Originally Posted by jamesvishiou
http:///forum/post/3286005
Posiden, since you do not use a skimmer, do you know where your tank thread is? no. i have not read the links you posted. i will check it out now.
My tank thread is at the back of the bus. I haven't posted in it, in a long time. I also don't have any pics up in there any more. They are all gone from my photo account too. Also, at the time my tank was posted, I was at a very busy time in my life and it was only posted as a learning experience for others. My tank was VERY neglected and I had an aptsia explosion. Some were about the size of quarters in their plate diameter. I was using a scrubber at the time. All I have is a simple 29 gallon bio cube. I will be stepping up, but not for anything much larger. I like the smaller tanks. Again, that's me. Once you read the links, you can also check out the other featured articals on TOC content. They also studied what is really in skimmate.(to a point) Lots of info in those articals IMO.