looking for skimmer

D

denniscoy420

I am also thinking getting the vertex in 100 for my 75 gallon tank to go in my 20 sump
200$ is my limit to spend should i change my mind ?

caz2022

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3281080

To date I have not found a skimmer I liked. However I can tell you which ones I DIDN"T like. All my experiences are with hang on the back types
Nothing labeled Red Sea, It was my first and I don't remember what they called it but ...does not skim and a waste of money
Coralife...Micro Bubbles so bad you can't see the fish
CPR Back Pac...It will skim great, then stop completely, mess with it for an hour..It works for a few days and begin messing with it again..A constant cycle.
If you find a good one, share the info…
I must be lucky then. I've been using a Coralife for about 5 years and I've never had a problem with micro bubbles. I did however replace the return line with basic sched 40 3/4 PVC to open up more options for routing my return line-dont know if that is why I don't get all the bubbles or not. As far as performnce-I think its doing a great job. I added a drain line to it so I have to clean out my 2ltr "collection cup" about once a month.

u mike

I was at lfs today talking about skimmers. since I do not have a sump right now they told me to use a rubbermaid tote . has anyone done this before? they only carry red sea & tunze. so i am still on the search.
Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3282068
Buy the best you can afford don't skimp.

meowzer

I have read about it, so yes....it has been done...BUT....You do know then you will have to get an overflow and return pump....right?????
I thought you just wanted a HOB skimmer

u mike

what I might do for now is get one that goes hang on / sump. this is the start of getting away of my canister filter.later I will look for a perement sump filter.
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3282463
I have read about it, so yes....it has been done...BUT....You do know then you will have to get an overflow and return pump....right?????
I thought you just wanted a HOB skimmer

acrylic51

Originally Posted by u mike
http:///forum/post/3282461
I was at lfs today talking about skimmers. since I do not have a sump right now they told me to use a rubbermaid tote . has anyone done this before? they only carry red sea & tunze. so i am still on the search.
Yes using Rubbermaid totes has been done before.....I just wouldn't purchase a cheapy tote though. I would still opt for a good old sump, easier to configure and setup IMHO.

u mike

Has anyone ever used or heard of this skimmer.
super reef octopus xp 1000sss cone.
asa I conutine to search for a skimmer this seems to fit with the size to fit under my tank.

posiden

"IF" I were in your shoes right now..........I would build a counter current skimmer. They need to be tall and you could make it the size that fits your tank. A small power head in the tank to feed it and build the output to feed directly back into your tank. Some PVC, some sort of a collection cup, a small PH like a micro jet, and an air pump. When I ran my CC skimmer I bought the wood for the air stones at my local wood worker shop, and made my own air stones. IIRC 5 bucks made about 6-8 stones. I used 2" PVC pipe for the body. Again, IIRC I was into it about 30 bucks for the build and the block of wood for the stones that will last for months. Since the stones need to be changed every 2-4 weeks in a CC skimmer. The bigger the air pump you provide for it the better. I just used a $8 dollar pump from wally world. I don't use a skimmer any more because I am a odd duck. However, if I ever feel the need to run one again I will run a CC in a heart beat. "IF" they are built right and you maintain them (like any other skimmer) they will sever you just fine IMO. I don't believe in the super duper, mongo skimmers.
This is just my thoughts. It seems to me that a CC would solve your issues and allow you more time to get the sump built and collect even more money for the BIG time skimmer if that is what you desire.
Good Luck and happy reefing.
Edit: When I say tall I mean like 4' tall or in that area. That's what I mean by you can build it to fit your tank. The power head won't see any real head height cause of the way the skimmer works. The only head height it has to deal with is up and over the top of the tank. So just a few inches.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by u mike
http:///forum/post/3283065
Has anyone ever used or heard of this skimmer.
super reef octopus xp 1000sss cone.
asa I conutine to search for a skimmer this seems to fit with the size to fit under my tank.
its pictured/discussed above.
http://***************.com/prodimages/coralvue/CV-XP-1000SSS.jpg

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3283354
"IF" I were in your shoes right now..........I would build a counter current skimmer. They need to be tall and you could make it the size that fits your tank. A small power head in the tank to feed it and build the output to feed directly back into your tank. Some PVC, some sort of a collection cup, a small PH like a micro jet, and an air pump. When I ran my CC skimmer I bought the wood for the air stones at my local wood worker shop, and made my own air stones. IIRC 5 bucks made about 6-8 stones. I used 2" PVC pipe for the body. Again, IIRC I was into it about 30 bucks for the build and the block of wood for the stones that will last for months. Since the stones need to be changed every 2-4 weeks in a CC skimmer. The bigger the air pump you provide for it the better. I just used a $8 dollar pump from wally world. I don't use a skimmer any more because I am a odd duck. However, if I ever feel the need to run one again I will run a CC in a heart beat. "IF" they are built right and you maintain them (like any other skimmer) they will sever you just fine IMO. I don't believe in the super duper, mongo skimmers.
This is just my thoughts. It seems to me that a CC would solve your issues and allow you more time to get the sump built and collect even more money for the BIG time skimmer if that is what you desire.
Good Luck and happy reefing.
Edit: When I say tall I mean like 4' tall or in that area. That's what I mean by you can build it to fit your tank. The power head won't see any real head height cause of the way the skimmer works. The only head height it has to deal with is up and over the top of the tank. So just a few inches.
I've seen properly constructed CC skimmers that your speaking of and their efficiency isn't nearly what you'd get from a super duper mongo skimmer....and besides most people have issues getting a skimmer to fit inside their stand as it is, and who wants ugly PVC sitting in the living room or family room????
And you also forgot to mention, there is actually a science to building skimmers, not just throwing PVC together and a pump.....Contact; dwell time in the skimmer body!!!!! And also the fact your forgot to mention, they NEED constant attention to run properly....being that the airstones need constant replacing, and you need a air pump to really drive them....Alot of info you left out.....If your going to claim an item or "highlight" you should tell pros and cons to be fair.....

posiden

http:///forum/post/3284641
I've seen properly constructed CC skimmers that your speaking of and their efficiency isn't nearly what you'd get from a super duper mongo skimmer....and besides most people have issues getting a skimmer to fit inside their stand as it is, and who wants ugly PVC sitting in the living room or family room????
And you also forgot to mention, there is actually a science to building skimmers, not just throwing PVC together and a pump.....Contact; dwell time in the skimmer body!!!!! And also the fact your forgot to mention, they NEED constant attention to run properly....being that the airstones need constant replacing, and you need a air pump to really drive them....Alot of info you left out.....If your going to claim an item or "highlight" you should tell pros and cons to be fair.....
Hmmm. Because the info you have offered in this thread has been soo helpful. All you did was throw a name out there. Didn't even offer pros and cons yourself. I however DID mention all the equipment and the fact that the stones will need to be replaced every 2-4 weeks. ANY pump or PH should be cleaned once a month for proper maintence anyway. I don't see why folks say that CC skimmer are a pain to deal with? If you want to talk of pro and cons, they both have their drawbacks now don't they. There is NO ONE special way to do anything. As for contact with a CC skimmer......That depends on how big and how many air stones you place in there. Dwell time, why do you think a CC skimmer is so tall? You don't feed a lot of GPH through any skimmer.
Why does the skimmer need to be in the viewing area anyway??? Can it not sit behind the tank out of sight? Mine did. I only saw the collection cup. I simply mentioned a CC skimmer to the OP because of his lack of a sump in the first place. He also mentioned getting a skimmer to run temporay while he built a sump, and got a better skimmer. Without a sump the only other option is a hang on style. One of which the OP will pay much more for and not get any better performance out of then a CC skimmer IMO. Want to talk about messing around with a skimmer consistantly...........lets talk about a cheap skimmer.
In reality skimmers are very simple devices. People overthink them. Is there design behind them......yep. There is. However that is much more so when dealing with a recirculating skimmer. Not a basic CC skimmer. The only real things to worry about in a CC skimmer is feed rate, and height. You can only put so much air into any skimmer before they dry up.
Its posts like yours that made me not want to visit this board any more a few months ago, when I said bye to all. I decided to come back and say a few words. Only to get slamed by you. Thanks. I was only throwing out another idea just like many others did. The fact is that there is another type of skimmer out there then just the recirculating type. CC skimmers DO work. Every tank is different. Every tank owner wants something different from their tank. Every tank owner has a different budget to work with. Another thing for you to think about is, How ones tank is stocked. No real point in a bad boy skimmer on a tank with two fish in it now is there.

acrylic51

I've read and seen plenty of CC skimmers.....A thing of the past basically. To each it's own, the skimmer I did recommend has a very good proven track record and a little digging will produce numbers/facts, which I can't even imagine CC coming close to pulling. Why are the skimmers so big? Inefficient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3284707
In reality skimmers are very simple devices. People overthink them. Is there design behind them......yep. There is. However that is much more so when dealing with a recirculating skimmer. Not a basic CC skimmer. The only real things to worry about in a CC skimmer is feed rate, and height. You can only put so much air into any skimmer before they dry up.
Its posts like yours that made me not want to visit this board any more a few months ago, when I said bye to all. I decided to come back and say a few words. Only to get slamed by you.

Nobody was attempting to slam......You stated about putting the skimmer behind the tank. Again most people are on a space constraint, so that is why I see that as a con of the skimmer. And yes, 2 personal friends of mine in the area, and 1 both own stores, and 1 is quite well known use to sell his giant CC skimmers, so I have seen and played with them first hand as well, and they aren't as simple as your trying to draw it up to be. You just make it seem you throw some PVC together, air stones, pump, and air pump. You have to drive the things, and a small little Tetra air pump won't cut it, and realistically depending on the tank they are put on the air stones need changed quite more frequently.......
http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/in....Main.Page.htm Again Is this something the average hobbyist wants sitting in their living area? Again compare the numbers of a cone skimmer to a CC skimmer.....Again, maintenance, space, efficiency, you figure.......

posiden

http:///forum/post/3284752
Why are the skimmers so big? Inefficient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, there is no pump to run things through, over and over. Different concepts. As far as efficency goes....electricity wise, CC skimmers "can" run on less watts.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3284757
Again compare the numbers of a cone skimmer to a CC skimmer.....Again, maintenance, space, efficiency, you figure.......
Here is an interesting read for you. There is an air stone skimmer in there too.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature
This is the last paragraph in the conclusion of this long winded article. However maybe you will believe folks with a more scientific approach then just some keyboard jockey that applies thought and question to the "hype" that is placed on the forum boards.
The results to date on protein skimming as a means of aquarium water remediation form a consistent picture that is at odds with some of the cherished dogma in the marine husbandry area. According to the data presented in this and the earlier paper (Advanced Aquarist, January 2009), protein skimmers appear to have a much larger variation in their prices than they do in their ability to remove TOC from aquarium water. Recent design innovations like bubble plates, conical sides, or pinwheel impellers do not seem to impact significantly on either rate of TOC removal or amount of TOC removed, at least for the skimmers tested. Thus, skimmer manufacturer claims about enhanced organic removal capabilities should be met with skepticism in the absence of compelling and quantitative TOC removal data.

posiden

Acrylic51,
Here is the earlier paper written in 2009 that is mentioned (in the quote) in my last post. Very similar statements are in there as well. They all basically performed identical. Not to mention the air stone skimmer is only 24" tall in these articles. Giving the average aquarist a much more broad range of air pump to use due too much less head pressure imposed on it. A simple deep water tetra will drive it at 4 PSI. They used 3 PSI and also increased it too 6 PSI in the article. I'm unclear as too which they used for the actual testing tho. Plus we have disposed of the whole 6' tall issue.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2
This interests me in the article,
With its presumably pivotal role in aquarium husbandry and its high price tag, it is no surprise that skimmer manufacturers strive to outdo one another with their exhortations and grandiose claims.

And this,
The advertising that accompanies these products often boasts of superlative performance, but no skimmer manufacturer has offered any quantitative support for their claims, in part because no useful metric for skimmer performance exists.

And this,
Four skimmers having four different reaction chamber volumes and representing four distinct types of bubble generation (needlewheel, venturi, airstone, and downdraft) were tested under the manufacturers' specified conditions. These tests revealed that there was no demonstrable difference between the Euroreef CS80 needlewheel skimmer, the Precision Marine ES100 venturi skimmer, the Precision Marine AP624 airstone skimmer, and the ETSS evolution 500 downdraft skimmer with respect to the rate constant for either TOC or BSA removal. Thus it is fair to conclude that, at least for the skimmers tested under the specified conditions, the individual manufacturers' claims of superior performance are without merit.

So, I believe I have posted the numbers you requested and highlighted the pros and cons. (of both) Please post some of your info.