Looking to get a Nano

I am really interested in purchasing a Nano tank for my desk at work. I am thinking either the 12 Gal Nano Cube or the 14 Gal Biocube. To my understanding everything is included as far as filtration and heating is concerned. What would I need to purchase for either or these systems in order to start growing some LPS or SPS?
Thanks,

silverdak

ya get the 14G biocube, best bang for your buck. the cube is set up and ready for saltwater, no heater built in but you can easily add one to the first chamber in the back right before the filter. so in a sense it will be consealed and you wont see it. all you need to buy to go with the cube is sand, rock and a heater.. well of course fish

nissan577

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2778458
I am really interested in purchasing a Nano tank for my desk at work. I am thinking either the 12 Gal Nano Cube or the 14 Gal Biocube. To my understanding everything is included as far as filtration and heating is concerned. What would I need to purchase for either or these systems in order to start growing some LPS or SPS?
Thanks,
well to tell you the truth i believe the 14 bio cube is the best. you can keep lps but idk about sps.

silverdak

i would say some sps is possible.. you have over 3 watts of light per gallon.. thats pretty good, you would just need to keep them up high closer to the light. I know people will dispute this all day long haha

i think hardy sps for sure, like orange caps....
but you should hurry. biocube just had a 25% increase and another 25% increase is due in a couple weeks. so do it! :)

ROFL I will sick my wife on you once I tell her why I need to buy now. ;)
All right so I am set on the Biocube 14 gal, I very much think I am going to need a heater. Also, probably going to add a shrimp/goby pair and maybe a clown pair, with probably 10 nass's. Sound good or too much load for it?

nissan577

why do you need a heater? is it cold at your house? and no thats perfect with the fish as long you wont put more

Well at the office here the 2nd floor is all men so the offices stay pretty cool.
Someone PM me a heater that fits nicely in it?
And thanks for the help!

silverdak

stealth heater works and fits great 25W is all ya need in there. and its not that you will necessarily NEED a heater.. but if you have one and lets say your burner on your house breaks.. you know that your tank will stay at the right temp. I know if sounds funny that if something big goes wrong if your house you would be worried about your tank but.. look at some of the cubes around here, some have over $1000 invested in the setup and corals and fish... not worth risking IMO

silverdak

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2778544
Do you think I should purchase the protein skimmer as well?
not right away.. let the proteins build up in the tank. extra proteins arent always a bad thing, just means your overfeeding, i had a brown film on the surface of the water in my cube and ppl said get a skimmer... didnt feed the tank for 2 days and it went away. you will find out that most issues have 2 ways to fix them.. first is give it some time, or treat with mechanical like skimmers or chemicals depending on what is wrong with the tank

nissan577

you dont really need a skimmer as long as you do the proper 5% water changes your good. i dont have a skimmer but i do the proper water changes and its perfect

nissan577

dam. is it always at that temp? it should always stay at a constant temp like mine. day or night 86-84