Looking to set up a shark tank, any help?

gallix23

Hey everyone,
My dad and I have a 125 gallon tank that is currently empty (the old tank leaked so we had to empty it and get a new one). He's been in the hobby for a really long time and is getting a little bored with straight fish tanks and isn't ready to put up with the maintenance of a reef tank at this time, but we want something different. Our fish supplier mentioned a shark tank for something different, and said we'd be able to hatch some sharks from eggs and things like that which is pretty cool.
However, he also said that the sort of sharks you can fit in a 125 are boring and hide during the day. Is this true for all of them? Even if they are hatched in captivity will they still hide all the time and not swim? Are there any types of 125-compatible sharks that are active in the tank?
Any help is appreciated, thanks

gallix23

If we hatched say an Epaulette shark from an egg, you don't think a 125 would be more than enough room for at least a decent amount of time?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Gallix23
http:///forum/post/3124489
If we hatched say an Epaulette shark from an egg, you don't think a 125 would be more than enough room for at least a decent amount of time?
Enough time for what? Do you have a 300G tank waiting for it.....Sorry, I have read too many....It's only temporary stories.....I (and this is only my opinion) woul not get anything at all with the intention...or knowledge...that it would outgrow my tank

gallix23

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3124501
Enough time for what? Do you have a 300G tank waiting for it.....Sorry, I have read too many....It's only temporary stories.....I (and this is only my opinion) woul not get anything at all with the intention...or knowledge...that it would outgrow my tank
Yes, the supplier that we go to has many 300+ tanks and is willing to take anything we buy/hatch. However everything I read said that a full grown Epaullette can live comfortably in a 180....?
And my dad IS the type of person who would buy something that would outgrow the tank, that's what he does. He buys fish, keeps them, trades them for others, trades them when they outgrow, he's been doing it his whole life that's just how he operates.

meowzer

LOL...I tend to become attached, please don't think I was saying anything against you keeping one....I can only tell you how I would feel....I have a 225G tank with a cortez stingray...I feed her by hand every morning, and am terrified that she may outgrow my tank....I have bonded with her (sounds silly)....But this is my experience, and all I can go by

gallix23

http:///forum/post/3124516
LOL...I tend to become attached, please don't think I was saying anything against you keeping one....I can only tell you how I would feel....I have a 225G tank with a cortez stingray...I feed her by hand every morning, and am terrified that she may outgrow my tank....I have bonded with her (sounds silly)....But this is my experience, and all I can go by
Hahah I understand, I myself can get attached but my dad on the other hand shows no emotion
He was the one who wanted me to ask around and see if there isn't anything "boring" in the shark family that would be suitable, at least for a while, in a 125

gallix23

http:///forum/post/3124524
You know in a 125 you can probably do some neat lionfish, and not have to get rid of them.....
Yeah, my dad has had lions before (not that I really remember, he kept the majority of his fish when I was really young). Would you happen to know of anything different (besides sharks and reefs) that we could try?

meowzer

eels.....there are some people on here that have some really neat looking moray eels, and stuff like that...now they are cool looking

humuhumu1

I also agree a 125 gallon is not suitable for an epaulette shark, let alone any shark. An epaulette shark attains a length of 42 inches, or 3 feet 6 inches. Imagine a 42 inch shark trying to turn around in an 18 inch wide 125 gallon aquarium (assuming it's standard demensions). If you decide to purchase a shark get an aquarium at least 3x the maximum length of the shark and at least 2x as wide as the shark. So for an epaulette shark that would be about a 10 by 7 feet. Or even better build a lagoon or pond as these are really best for sharks. I'm not discouraging you in any way, but just trying to lead you in the right way. Sorry if that sounds rude to you because I don't mean it.

gallix23

Hmm, I'll look into the eels. And I appreciate the advice, I'm just a little surprised because I was told that a 125 would house most "bottom feeding sharks" and a 900-1000 gallon would even house baby hammer-heads, lemon sharks, etc. Guess whoever told me that was wrong, hahah.

gallix23

http:///forum/post/3124543
LOL...was it a lfs? They tend to tell tall tales....
Look at the moray eels...they are cool
Hahah I don't even remember to be honest, glad I got the facts straight though! I'll look into Morays, is there anything else you can keep with them? or even other eels for that matter?

humuhumu1

It's best that it has a lot of room so it can live a healthy long life. There some other sharks, specifically a coral catshark and the marbled catshark. If I recall correctly they only reach a size of 24-26 inches. That is like half the size of an epaulette shark and you wouldn't need as large of a tank. If I were you I would wait on a shark because they require such expensive systems and need really prestine water quality. If I were you i would set up a mixed reef, but you could make a really nice aggressive/ predator tank. Eels, lions, triggers, tangs, scorpions, puffers, etc. Not all of those are compatible but those are some possible fish.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Gallix23
http:///forum/post/3124547
Hahah I don't even remember to be honest, glad I got the facts straight though! I'll look into Morays, is there anything else you can keep with them? or even other eels for that matter?
IDK anything about eels, just that there are a few people that I talk to that have them, look up saltlife.....he has them

gallix23

Originally Posted by humuhumu1
http:///forum/post/3124548
It's best that it has a lot of room so it can live a healthy long life. There some other sharks, specifically a coral catshark and the marbled catshark. If I recall correctly they only reach a size of 24-26 inches. That is like half the size of an epaulette shark and you wouldn't need as large of a tank. If I were you I would wait on a shark because they require such expensive systems and need really prestine water quality. If I were you i would set up a mixed reef, but you could make a really nice aggressive/ predator tank. Eels, lions, triggers, tangs, scorpions, puffers, etc. Not all of those are compatible but those are some possible fish.
Yeah we thought about the aggressive tank too, well sort of anyways. There is a really nice clown trigger at our fish store so we were thinking of putting him in the tank alone or maybe something else. What exactly do you mean by mixed-reef?

humuhumu1

A mixed reef is just really a reef tank with fish. I know you don't really want one though. Good luck, finding the tank for you. cya

salt life

http:///forum/post/3124551
IDK anything about eels, just that there are a few people that I talk to that have them, look up saltlife.....he has them
aye momma, yeah i got me some eels. if you have any questions just ask. crypt keeper is also one of my moray buddies so im sure once he sees this he might give his opinion.

small triggers

Personally, if you are looking for a tank that is less maintenance, i dont think a shark tank fits the bill. Though its less hands in the tank time, it is MUCH more time making sure water quality is at the highest. I would personally do a larger fish tank with some easy 'corals' like mushrooms and such. I have a 150g with 4 triggers, a kole tang, 2 maroon clowns and a evil hawkfish and personally I love that i now have some 'corals' though not really a reef i dont have the water quality to put LPS or SPS in it (plus the triggers would eat them) that is just my opinion