Lost my dad last week

dragonzim

Been debating on whether to put this out here...
My father, Barry, passed away last week while on a business trip, 350 miles away from home. He was 64 years old and in fairly good health. He suffered from a massive brain hemmohrage apparently right before going to bed for the night. My mother spoke to him that night at around 10PM, saying good night. At 730AM the next morning, after being 30 minutes late to meet his coworker for breakfast at the hotel, his coworker made management open his room and he was found on the floor next to the bed. He was still alive but unresponsive. He was immediately taken to a local hospital. I got a call from his boss, who happens to be one of my closest friends, at around 8:00. All we were told is that he was unresponsive. I immediately called my mother and she started freaking out over the phone. I left to go to their house while she called my uncle. When I got to my mom's she said my Uncle was on his way home and we went to pick him up and started the 6 hour drive to upstate NY on the Vermont border, to what we figured was a trip to see him and then take him home.
At around 9:30AM we got a call from the doctors treating him telling us what they found and that he was essentially brain dead. We still had about a 5 hour trip ahead of us, which was just about the longest 5 hours of my life. Got to the hospital at around 3 and immediately went to see him. He looked like he was just sleeping but he was on a ventilator, which was the only thing keeping him alive. We hung around for hours and at 9:00 I had to drive over to Burlington, VT to pick up my sister, who flew in from a business trip she was on in Vegas. At 9:30PM, 12 hours after the initial brain scan, they did a second scan to check for brain activity and they found none. He was pronounced legally dead at 9:40PM.
He was an organ donor and we had his kidneys, liver, lung and heart valves taken so that he might be able to save other's lives. He left behind a loving wife who had been with him for 47 years, a 40 year old daughter, me at 36, a son in law and daughter in law and 4 grandkids, Zachary, 7, Sarah, 3 1/2 and my boys at 11 months. My only wish is that my boys would have been old enough to remember him.
Rest in Peace, Dad. I love you.

kjr_trig

My condolences, I lost my Dad (whom seemed in excellent health) at the too young age of 66 a couple years ago. Like you, I just wish my kids had gotten to know him better.

btldreef

Your family is in my thoughts. I am very sorry for your loss.
I never got to meet my one grandfather, he passed when I was 4. My parents made me a book all about him, with tons of photos in it and even though I don't really remember him, it's really nice to have, so that I know who he was.

reefraff

Sorry man. Lost my dad when I was the same age as you but it was expected from 30 years of serious alcohol abuse. Can't imagine the shock of having it happen out of the blue like that. Good that you have lots of family around to help each other through it.

flower

So, so sorry for your loss, I sure wish there was more I could offer...tell the boys all about him and show them pictures. Thats what I plan to do with the baby who is only 3 months old when his granddad past away. Best picture I have of him is holding the baby at the hospital.
BIG HUG

ironeagle2006

Dragon all I can say is WOW remember all the good times you had with your father. Also be there for your family as much as possible. I kinda know what your going thru right now my wifes dad pasted a couple months ago and she is taking it hard since this is the first holiday season without him around. But it helps I know must of his dishes and well lets say trying my best for her.

oceankid

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this from you, I lost my dad just last year, he died from colon cancer 6 months after he was diagnosed from stage 4 colon cancer. I know how you feel, I saw my dad dying in front of me, I didn't know what to do, I just stared at him and watched him dying. It felt like I was just dreaming. I was 22 that time and he was 56. :(

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanKid http:///forum/thread/381656/lost-my-dad-last-week#post_3325712
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this from you, I lost my dad just last year, he died from colon cancer 6 months after he was diagnosed from stage 4 colon cancer. I know how you feel, I saw my dad dying in front of me, I didn't know what to do, I just stared at him and watched him dying. It felt like I was just dreaming. I was 22 that time and he was 56. :(
I'm not sure what's worse, watching a slow and painful fight where you at least get to say goodbye, or a quick and painless loss for the person that passes, but with no chance to say goodbye....

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///forum/thread/381656/lost-my-dad-last-week#post_3325737
I'm not sure what's worse, watching a slow and painful fight where you at least get to say goodbye, or a quick and painless loss for the person that passes, but with no chance to say goodbye....
In my experience, it's no fun watching people waste away... I'd rather go your dad's way. anway, Best wishes from down in texas.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///forum/thread/381656/lost-my-dad-last-week#post_3325737

I have lost loved ones both ways. It's easier on the one dying to go fast, and easier on the survivors if we have time to prepare in our hearts that they will be going soon. Saying good bye means so much to us, and it really means allot if we need to make peace with them first.
I was asked once how I wanted to go...I don't want to go at all, there is no good time or good way...so at a very old age will have to do for wishes.

oceankid

Quote:
I'm not sure either, pain is not about how they died, I think the pain we feel when we lost someone can be measure on how much we love them, our experiences and time spent with them. More love, more pain.