Lost my job this morning(arch. field in S. Cali)

socalnano24

My company started laying off people about 13 months ago. We had hit 50% lay offs in July and my boss had told us that we hit the critical operating level of the company so they didn't think they could lay anyone else off and stay in business. I guess they're going to try!
I work in the structural engineering field in Southern california. I have colleagues who got laid off in March and have yet to receive an in person interview in the field.
I'm scared.... my lease is up on my apartment in a week and I won't be able to reapply for a smaller unit or studio without a steady paycheck (at least I do'nt think they accept unemployment checks as proof of income)...
Anybody work in the architectural field anywhere have any leads?

lovethesea

ugh, sorry to hear about that! It seems to be a continual thing that companies in the U.S. are doing and seem they will continue to do regardless of how the powers that be swear they won't do.
If you apply for a smaller apt., why would you have to show proof of anything. You have paid consistently and have been a good tenant right? Also, I hope your company gave you a severance of some sort?
I would think that a credit check and your last few paycheck would be sufficent if that is what they are going to ask you for.
good luck.......can you search different states to see what jobs in your field are available. I know that is easier said than done, but if So Cal is saturated right now, it would be interesting to see what other cities in Cali or other states have openings.

btldreef

It's no different here in NY either. My husbands dad works in the same field and was laid off a year ago. He worked for two weeks a few months ago, and then got let go again.
As for your apt, if you're applying for a smaller unit in the same complex, they shouldn't need to see proof of income again if you've been a good tenant. Just my thoughts. Normally if you move units, they just go by your last info.
Good luck!

socalnano24

I'll be able to collect unemployment, and I should get maximum benefits hopefully.
I'm already in the smallest unit in my apartment complex, its 1300/month for a one bedroom with 700 sf!
So in order to get to a stuido apartment which I could hopefully get for a grand, I'd need to do the full application (sorry didn't mean reapply as in the same place), which typically requires pay stubs and a letter from your boss on signed letterhead (at least thats the case in Orange County typically).
There's gotta be a way to find a place to live while on unemployment, it just may require some assistance from the government (not too confident in that at the moment). Gpnna have to look into it some more. Just filed for my unemployment online so hopefully that'll process quickly! In the meantime I think I can handle two or three months of rent on a month to month basis assuming they don't jack it up too much for not being on a lease!
Thanks for the sympathy btw :)

reefraff

I would find a month to month rental rather than leasing, That way should you need to relocate for a job you wont have to worry about breaking a lease.

reefraff

Originally Posted by SocalNano24
http:///forum/post/3158487
yah thats a good point.
Man I've never lived outside of california, changes could be interesting
I grew up in Huntington when it was mostly oil fields. You couldn't pay me to live there, or anywhere else in Cal now. If you do need to look out of state check out Denver area. The suburbs here are a lot like OC. No beach but housing is a lot less (my house payment is 700 a month) and it has a lot of the same night life theaters and stuff.

meowzer

YIKES...Sounds like NY fees...HEYYYYY...Move to OK...LOL...it's cheap here (in the rural section anyhow) LOL

socalnano24

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3158490
I grew up in Huntington when it was mostly oil fields. You couldn't pay me to live there, or anywhere else in Cal now. If you do need to look out of state check out Denver area. The suburbs here are a lot like OC. No beach but housing is a lot less (my house payment is 700 a month) and it has a lot of the same night life theaters and stuff.
Actually one of my options is Colorado, there is a aerospace firm I have a connection to. $700/month sounds great. Just would have to get used to the whole concept of seasons :)
Originally Posted by meowzer

http:///forum/post/3158491
YIKES...Sounds like NY fees...HEYYYYY...Move to OK...LOL...it's cheap here (in the rural section anyhow) LOL
Problem is my girlyfriend is going to USC for her MBA for the next 3 years, and long term relationships blow, so she is worth trying to stick it out in cali if I can at least until I have no other options.
I may just try to get back into professional art; anyone up for some commissioned fish paintings

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3158513
Problem is my girlyfriend is going to USC for her MBA for the next 3 years, and long term relationships blow, so she is worth trying to stick it out in cali if I can at least until I have no other options.
I may just try to get back into professional art; anyone up for some commissioned fish paintings

HMMMMMM...maybe it's time to LIVE TOGETHER

johnr2604

I understand where your coming from but if I lived in cali it seams like a good time to get out. Here in Ga I could buy 2 x 2000sf houses for what your paying for a tiny one bedroom. California and New York both have crazy costs of living.

meowzer

Originally Posted by johnr2604
http:///forum/post/3158532
I understand where your coming from but if I lived in cali it seams like a good time to get out. Here in Ga I could buy 2 x 2000sf houses for what your paying for a tiny one bedroom. California and New York both have crazy costs of living.
I can agree with the NY part...LOL....In Oklahoma I could buy a neighborhood for what 1 condo goes for in NY

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3158628
Or I could buy one normal house, and have one heck of a fish tank!!!!!
you got it....LOL
But I have to warn you....the food sucks around here, and you have to learn to shop online

wangotango

Hmm. That's what I'm going to school for. Hopefully by the time I'm done with school things will bounce back.
Find somewhere that does a lot of work in Dubai.
-Justin

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3158513
Actually one of my options is Colorado, there is a aerospace firm I have a connection to. $700/month sounds great. Just would have to get used to the whole concept of seasons :)

Yeah, my first experience with seasons was Western Montana. This place isn't as bad. The altitude is more of an issue.

As a recent graduate I first tried to get a job in socal. I tried so hard to stay in San Diego and LA but the market was really hurting. Finally, after having no choice I moved home to the Bay Area and got a job within 3 weeks. The market for some reason is significantly stronger in Norcal at the moment. I've seen a lot of openings for civil and structural. I just recently went into a career fair and talked to a few companies in the civil and structural industry. Basically, at least in the Bay Area, they're all seeing growth (including my company) but they're all being very cautious because they're afraid things might go south again. Everyone is anticipating hiring in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I would try my hand at Norcal for now. The whether isn't as awesome as socal but right now a job is a job. First chance I get I would go back to Socal though.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by Contraband629
http:///forum/post/3158690
As a recent graduate I first tried to get a job in socal. I tried so hard to stay in San Diego and LA but the market was really hurting. Finally, after having no choice I moved home to the Bay Area and got a job within 3 weeks. The market for some reason is significantly stronger in Norcal at the moment. I've seen a lot of openings for civil and structural. I just recently went into a career fair and talked to a few companies in the civil and structural industry. Basically, at least in the Bay Area, they're all seeing growth (including my company) but they're all being very cautious because they're afraid things might go south again. Everyone is anticipating hiring in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I would try my hand at Norcal for now. The whether isn't as awesome as socal but right now a job is a job. First chance I get I would go back to Socal though.
Haha yeah, I may be able to get a shot in LA, they haven't been hit nearly as hard as Orange County, becuase theres still a lot of hospital redevelopment and upgrades going on for any firms that have OSHPD experience. I figure I'm going to make myself a time line and try to first look in Orange County, then LA, then greater California before finally going for the out of state options.