Lost my ribbon eel

ironeagle2006

My ribbon eel rest his soul. I will not be posting pics of this either sorry do not want to relive this nightmare. He decided he wanted to see what was in my overflow box.
Well by the time I saw him swim up there he got caught in the 1000 GPH current into the overflow tubes and into my sump. Next thing I new I had a headless eel as he met my impeller on my pump.

olemiss

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3214213
Mag 12 remember with a Ribbon eel your talking a fish that is less than a inch in diamater.
I have a jap dragon and a fimby and was trying to figure how it could happen, I forgot how narrow ribbons are. That's rough, are you going to try another one?

R

rcreations

Sorry for your loss. I always read the ribbon eels are hard to keep. Is this why, because they're so thin and they can get out?

ironeagle2006

Normally it is because they will not EAT. Yet this one ate whatever I gave him. He was blue so I know it was a male Black is a Juvi and Yellow are female. Yeah will try again infact already have it on order at the LFS and they will keep it for me til it is QT'ed and eating great.

I'm sorry for your loss....I had 2 ribbon eels and they both jumped out of the tank. They were eating and found an opening that they were able to swim up and out. The second one I found on the floor was still alive (barely) I put him back in the tank and he survived only to jump out again. This time was too late....I won't be trying another one, but I love them. They are really cool to watch and beautiul.

ironeagle2006

That is why the next one is going in my wifes 44 Pentagon. No Overflow we use a Emperor 400 for the filter and a Seaclone 100 for the skimmer there. Also we are not going with seahorses in that tank making it a Fowlr also. My sons Nano will be a reef. the 44 is covered with zero extra opening egg crate so we should be fine.