Low PH help

bluemantr

Hi
Its about a week i am having hard time to keep PH and alk stable. It keeps droping down like a crazy. I did read most of the PH problem posts i am still having some problems. I put 2 fans for more fresh air circulation. Water movement at the surface like a crazy. I used B-Ionic 2 step buffer parameters was okay 2 days and droped again. I just lost 2-3 snails thats all but corals arent opening up like before. This morning before lights PH was 7.4 and ALK was 7dkh. After lights on still same. What could be the problem and how can i resolve it?
Thanks

clown316

well i had the same problem earlier this month... there is a product made by Seachem called marine buffer.... it has always worked for me.... it raises PH and maintains it... impossible to overdose... hope this helps...

clown316

and.. be sure to add the Seachem into the water that you use during the water change.... not directly into the tank .... Im not sure what would happen if you added it right into the tank... but I wouldnt take any chances...

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
What could be the problem and how can i resolve it?
You can raise you ALK a slight amount but that's not your problem. Adding buffer isn't going to solve the problem.
Is there an ammonia reading or is it zero? PH that low usually means something is rotting like accumulated detritus of a dead snail, etc.

bluemantr

Thanks for all helps,
I cant find 2-3 snails I think those snails are the problem. If they are dead and i cant find them how long it will take crabs and bristols eat those dead snails? or should i find them and remove?

N

nereef

if you can find the snails, if they are indeed dead, it would be best to remove them. when did you add the snails, and how did you acclimate them. snails are generally tough to kill.

bluemantr

Originally Posted by NEreef
if you can find the snails, if they are indeed dead, it would be best to remove them. when did you add the snails, and how did you acclimate them. snails are generally tough to kill.
I added them last week. 2 hours drip acclimation. They seemed fine for couple of days but now i cant find 3 of them and i found 1 empty shell i think they are all dead. :(

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
I added them last week. 2 hours drip acclimation. They seemed fine for couple of days but now i cant find 3 of them and i found 1 empty shell i think they are all dead. :(

I am also having the same problem as you do. My snails too seem to do fine for cuple of days and then icant find them or they die. My Ph gets as low as yours but except my alkalinity is high. I have posted a thread on as well except I have found with my test kits i am getting different readings. 1 a ph of 8.0, the other a ph of 7.7 and the other with a pH of 7.6. I dont knwo what to believe. ALso i got a Ph reading of 8.4 on my freshly made RO/DI water. I didnt even add anything to it.
Very frustrated!!!

bluemantr

Yea i know It is getting frustrated! I am not sure what was wrong with the last snails i added but i have some aestra and turbos I got them like 4-5 months ago all of them fine and they are very active with cleaning algea on glass and rocks. I think last ones wasnt in good health. I think i will leave them in tank because i cant find them anywhere. I have to move all my rocks out thats i dont want to do it. I hope cleanup crew eats them quick!

kzoo

You may be low on magnesuim, cal and alk both go hand and hand if you are having problems mantaining a balance you may have percipitaion and need to stablize it. I would do a water change, and drip kalk. I take it this is not a new tank and you have completed your cycle?

bluemantr

Tank is 5 months old. I dont have magnesium test i should take the water to LFS and get it tested. Thanks for help. I dont see the link.

kzoo

The link I sent was to reef keeping mag. It has no adverts for selling anything, that is the problem with this sight not to worried about helping someone just trying to make sure they dont buy somewere else. THAT SUCKS

crzyfshygy

Open the biggest window in the house near the tank!!! If you have a screen door...use it. I raise my PH by 1.0-2.0 units daily by doing this, there is nothing better than fresh air to raise your PH.
You will see a slight increase at first, but after a few days of doing this if not a week. You will see dramatic improvement in total PH. fresh air will get rid on excess carbon dioxide in the house.
What are you using to test PH?? I am sorry if I missed it, but a $90 pinpoint monitor will do wonders for your tank health.
Also try dosing with calcium hydroxide solution.....kents is good. Dose at night and keep a good window open during the day.

bluemantr

Thanks,
Yea i do fresh air circulation everyday. Not for only tank for my health too :) I have API reef master test kit. Its pretty good test kit i am sure it is right. Because my lfs test results gives me always same results. I just tested PH,ALK and calcium again. Test results were good except calcium. PH 8.3, alk 11dKh and calcium 380. Seems corals,fishes and inverts are doing better. I hope it stays stable.