Low pH

adairable

:thinking: My pH is at like 7.8. Is that too low? How do I fix it?
btw I have a 14g biocube, everything is stock so no special stuff and I have LS and 20+lbs of LR
Thanks for any input....

earlybird

How big of a tank? What are your paramaters? Do you use RO/DI water? Do you have a fuge? Finally, is your pH consistent at 7.8?
Low pH is sometimes caused by excess CO2. If you have a lid I'd recommend taking it off, maybe even open the windows to your home. 7.8 is on the low end of the recommended pH, if it is consistent then it's really not a problem but you'd want to raise it. Please post your paramaters as it will help to know specifically your alk and cal.

adairable

Originally Posted by earlybird
How big of a tank? What are your paramaters? Do you use RO/DI water? Do you have a fuge? Finally, is your pH consistent at 7.8?
The tank is a 14g biocube with LS and abou 20lbs of live rock so its more like a 10g biocube
N02-0
n03-0
Am-0 (i think)
All of the above are ideal
temp is 78/79 constantly
SG- 1.021/2 constantly
pH constantly 7.8 ish
and I use RO water I buy in gallons at the grocery store
no fuge (i don't know what they are :notsure: )
and yes it is constantly 7.8

earlybird

If it's constant I wouldn't worry. I would recommend you test for alk and cal as they affect pH. What ever you do, do not use a buffer to raise pH as it is only temporary and will throw your levels off. The reason I asked about a refugium is if you had one with chaeto in it and it was on a reverse lighting schedule you could prevent swings. For the time being try to aerate your water change water with an airstone and or powerhead if you don't already and test the pH. The airstone will help the CO2 release

adairable

Originally Posted by earlybird
If it's constant I wouldn't worry. I would recommend you test for alk and cal as they affect pH. What ever you do, do not use a buffer to raise pH as it is only temporary and will throw your levels off. The reason I asked about a refugium is if you had one with chaeto in it and it was on a reverse lighting schedule you could prevent swings. For the time being try to aerate your water change water with an airstone and or powerhead if you don't already and test the pH. The airstone will help the CO2 release
I will get those two test kits asap (cal and alk).
And I def won't use a buffer....
Thanks so much for your help!

zeroc

Well if he has coral in it they could be using the calcium really fast and in that case dosing a buffer and calc (don't do it on the same day) would be ideal. Or you're not doing water changes often enough because R/O water has a dKH of zero so if your stock is using up your buffer and you're just topping off with R/O and not doing saltwater changes that'll lower the PH. If you keep your dKH at 10ish and your calcium 400-450 then your PH will fall inline.

bang guy

I have two suggestions to try.
1 - Increase the waterflow with a powerhead or get a bigger main waterpump.
2 - Do larger water changes.

adairable

Originally Posted by ZeroC
Well if he has coral in it they could be using the calcium really fast and in that case dosing a buffer and calc (don't do it on the same day) would be ideal. Or you're not doing water changes often enough because R/O water has a dKH of zero so if your stock is using up your buffer and you're just topping off with R/O and not doing saltwater changes that'll lower the PH. If you keep your dKH at 10ish and your calcium 400-450 then your PH will fall inline.
wow I have so much to learn....
FYI i have no fish or coral, just a small cleanup crew right now

adairable

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I have two suggestions to try.
1 - Increase the waterflow with a powerhead or get a bigger main waterpump.
2 - Do larger water changes.
i think the water changes are probably what is doing it.....not that i need to do bigger ones but that i need to do the small ones weekly....and not just say im going to do them weekly.... :thinking:

bonebrake

Hi Adairable!
RJ asked me about your pH problem too.
Everyone has suggested good advice and I recommend trying improving the air circulation in the tank and in the room.
Do a 2 gallon change weekly or 4 gallon change twice a month.
Also, topping off daily with kalkwasser (A solution of Ca(OH)2 mixed up in RO water) will help tremendously. If you need some kalk and want to try it, tell RJ and I can give him some for you.
:joy:

adairable

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Hi Adairable!
RJ asked me about your pH problem too.
Everyone has suggested good advice and I recommend trying improving the air circulation in the tank and in the room.
Do a 2 gallon change weekly or 4 gallon change twice a month.
Also, topping off daily with kalkwasser (A solution of Ca(OH)2 mixed up in RO water) will help tremendously. If you need some kalk and want to try it, tell RJ and I can give him some for you.
Hey long time no talk!
Thanks for all the support! I think the pH problem has resolved itself...I am still kinda clueless about it, but I switched to weekly 10% water changes and now its cool?!
Also I think I got rid of my cyano, which is great!
So if I could get a fish soon that'd be great! I really want a little clown!

bonebrake

Hey, thanks buddy!
I saw a really cute little clown, only like 1" long, at Pets Plus on Ridge Pike, if you get a clown make sure you get it a buddy though, they do best in pairs!

adairable

Hey, thanks buddy!
I saw a really cute little clown, only like 1" long, at Pets Plus on Ridge Pike, if you get a clown make sure you get it a buddy though, they do best in pairs!
Would I get another clown to be his buddy? what would you suggest?
And I always go to that Pets Plus and I see a clown I want in their big tank and they can NEVER catch one

bonebrake

D'oh!

Hey, I have some coral frags I am selling and since you know RJ I'll give you the PCOM discount.

I have eagle eye zoanthids, zombie eye zoanthids, Armor of God pink palythoas, pulsating xenia, blue shrooms, ricordea florida, trumpet coral, and some other goodies.
If you're interested tell RJ and you guys can drop in some time. I live right down the street from PCOM.
2746 Belmont Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19131

adairable

Muchos interested!!! I'll take anything thats good and hearty for a beginner. Maybe we can swing by next week after Easter.

Happy Easter dude! <~~ from RJ

larryndana

you shouldn't need to dose with anything until you get a bunch of corals, and your cal or alk is being used up and is needed.