lowering my ph

gman08016

What is the correct way to lower ph.Allof my other test are intach but seems like my ph keeps getting higher.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by gman08016
What is the correct way to lower ph.Allof my other test are intach but seems like my ph keeps getting higher.
What is it reading now? Unless it is way high, like 8.5 or higher, then keep it stable. Check the ph of your source water and your mix. Post those readings.

sk8shorty01

I agree with sep.
Although just for future reference, lowering the pH can be done by adding more fresh water to your system (fresh water should have a pH of roughly 7) and at the same time removing salt water. The only problem with this is that you end up with a lower salinity.
Another way to do it is to add seltzer water (freshwater with added CO2). This works the same as providing more aeration to the tank. The more CO2 that you can get into the system, at the same ALK levels (meaning this does not do anything to ALK in your system), the lower your pH will be. Based on a few sites I have found online (not sure if I can mention the actual site) it seems that a rough number to add is 6 mL of seltzer water per gallon in order to drop the pH 0.3 pH units.
Also, adding vinegar to the system will lower your pH (although this process could take a few hours to show its effects). When you first add the vinegar the first step of this 2 step process takes place. The acetic acid releases H+ to the aquarium (ionization). Over a period of time, the acetate is metabolized by the bacteria in the tank, using up the available oxygen and producing carbon dioxide.
Lastly, you can add baking soda, but this option will also affect your ALK so you have to watch out for that. Adding enough baking soda to drop the pH 0.04 pH units is shown to raise the ALK by 0.5 meq/L which could make it quite difficult to keep your ALK under control while you're dropping your pH.

florida joe

sk8shorty01 said:
I agree with sep.
Although just for future reference, lowering the pH can be done by adding more fresh water to your system (fresh water should have a pH of roughly 7) and at the same time removing salt water. The only problem with this is that you end up with a lower salinity.
Another way to do it is to add seltzer water (freshwater with added CO2). This works the same as providing more aeration to the tank. The more CO2 that you can get into the system, at the same ALK levels (meaning this does not do anything to ALK in your system), the lower your pH will be. Based on a few sites I have found online (not sure if I can mention the actual site) it seems that a rough number to add is 6 mL of seltzer water per gallon in order to drop the pH 0.3 pH units.
Also, adding vinegar to the system will lower your pH (although this process could take a few hours to show its effects). When you first add the vinegar the first step of this 2 step process takes place. The acetic acid releases H+ to the aquarium (ionization). Over a period of time, the acetate is metabolized by the bacteria in the tank, using up the available oxygen and producing carbon dioxide.
Lastly, you can add baking soda, but this option will also affect your ALK so you have to watch out for that. Adding enough baking soda to drop the pH 0.04 pH units is shown to raise the ALK by 0.5 meq/L which could make it quite difficult to keep your ALK under control while you're dropping your pH.[/QUOTE
DO NOT ADD BAKING SODA it will rase your PH not lower it

gman08016

Thanks for the input.When i get home tonight i will test my ph out of my ro unit.It's at 8.5-8.6 just can't understand why its going up i have'nt Changed anything.Will start with fresh water first to see if that changes it.

gman08016

Originally Posted by earlybird
Are you using tap or RO water? Test your water source also.
I am using a ro unit.

W

wbradenpt

are you adding kalkwasser? i think it tends to raise the pH.
if you are adding kalk, stopping or decreasing the dosage might slowly lower your pH.

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by florida joe
DO NOT ADD BAKING SODA it will rase your PH not lower it

This is not true. Baking soda will slightly lower pH (look up the effects of baking soda on pH online, I have found quite a few sites that back this up) but will greatly raise your ALK.

gman08016

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
This is not true. Baking soda will slightly lower pH (look up the effects of baking soda on pH online, I have found quite a few sites that back this up) but will greatly raise your ALK.
Don't worry wasn't going to try that one.Really don't want to corals on somthing have have not tried.Just can't understand why all of sudden its going up.First i will test my water out of my ro tonight.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by gman08016
Don't worry wasn't going to try that one.Really don't want to corals on somthing have have not tried.Just can't understand why all of sudden its going up.First i will test my water out of my ro tonight.
Good idea, I'd get my test kit tested too; very high PH is unusual.

sk8shorty01

I would not suggest using baking soda either (was just stating that it is possible to use it). In my opinion, adding to the aeration (whether its naturally or by adding some seltzer water) is the best method to fix this problem. It could mean just adding a aerator to your sump (if you have one) in your first chamber, or you could put one inside your HOB possibly. This would fix the problem in my opinion, the seltzer would just fix it temporarily. Just make sure you have good aeration and you should see a change in your pH rather quickly.

florida joe

[edit] For neutralization of acids and bases
The reaction of acids with sodium bicarbonate is a common method for neutralizing acid and base spills. The advantage of sodium bicarbonate is that it is amphoteric, hence reacts with acids and bases. For example, with sulfuric acid:
2 NaHCO3 + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + 2 H2O + 2 CO2
With sodium hydroxide:
NaHCO3 + NaOH → Na2CO3 + H2O
Furthermore, it is relatively innocuous, that there is no harm in using excess sodium bicarbonate.
A wide variety of applications follow from its neutralization properties including ameliorating the effects of white phosphorus in incendiary bullets, from spreading inside a soldier's afflicted wounds.[3]
It is commonly used to increase the pH and total alkalinity of the water for pools and spas. Sodium bicarbonate can be added as a simple solution for restoring the pH balance of water that has a high level of chlorine.
It is sometimes used in septic tanks to control pH and bacteria. please some one send me the link to where baking soda lowers ph

srfisher17

Yeah; I've effectively used baking soda to RAISE ph for years. There may be some weird situation where it would lower it; but baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is the common alkaline substance we learned about in 6th grade science. That's why it helps an acid stomach. Fenner even recommends it as a ph increaser in his book. I'm with Florida Joe (and I'm with ALL Vietnam Vets), please post a link showing it lowers ph. I think this another of the myths that seem to self-perpetuate on forums. Like carnivores create more waste than herbivores.

sk8shorty01

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php
This actually shows charts and gives numbers from experiments. You have to remember that the pH in a pool (freshwater) and a salt tank are quite different. This could be the reason why it is working in the opposite direction in an aquarium although I cannot be entirely sure. I am just going off of what I read on a few sites, and these sites show numbers, which is more than I can provide so I am not able to prove them false.

srfisher17

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php
This actually shows charts and gives numbers from experiments. You have to remember that the pH in a pool (freshwater) and a salt tank are quite different. This could be the reason why it is working in the opposite direction in an aquarium although I cannot be entirely sure. I am just going off of what I read on a few sites, and these sites show numbers, which is more than I can provide so I am not able to prove them false.
Take a cup of tankwater, measure ph, add some baking soda, wait, measure again...ph will be higher. Aquick google of ' baking soda, saltwater aquariums" will give you a list; all say BS raises ph.

sk8shorty01

Well either way, it doesnt really matter because the site says that it is not an effective way of controlling pH because of the rapid changes it causes in ALK. If it were me I would just do the aeration thing and not worry about it. I will do some testing on this though and see what I can come up with.

srfisher17

Well either way, it doesnt really matter because the site says that it is not an effective way of controlling pH because of the rapid changes it causes in ALK. If it were me I would just do the aeration thing and not worry about it. I will do some testing on this though and see what I can come up with.
I'll agree that baking soda is not a long term fix; but to raise ph quickly and safely, as in making a dip, QT, etc--it works great. BS neutralizes acid, so ph has to rise. From Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", IMO the most quoted source of hobbiest info, (page 152 in my copy:"To counteract the natural tendency of aquarium PH to fall or become more acidic over time, a weekly dose of a buffering agent-either baking soda or an aquarium product-can be a simple, beneficial measure." I'm beating this to death, but there are a few "urban myths" on this site and this is one of them. If a source with any more credibility than Bob Fenner comes along with the opposite viewpoint, I'll change my mind.

gman08016

Ok guys tested my ro water Between 8.0-8.2.Tested tank right now 8.4 last night 8.6.Going to watch it and get a new test kit tomorrow just for the safe side.All other test are in line .Thanks for the input but it sounds like i'am around a bunch of mad scientist ready for a lab experiment.