LTA SPLITTLING!!!!!!!!

cipher43

YAY. We got to the office this morning and my nem looked odd so i looked closer. He is splitting it lookes like. How long does it take a nem to split?
best pic i could get of it

hard to see but there is the top foot and then you can see the new foot under the rock

cipher43

WOW this is taking forever. My clownfish have been tweakin since we saw it start yesterday morning. Its almost like they are the husbands standing out in the waiting room while it gives birth lol. It is progressing but SO SLOW.

cipher43

UGH.... its on its second day so i hope its not a week. still hasn't progressed much. I read somewhere that some large anemones can split into up to 5. This one is over 14" across so I'm hoping for 3 after its over but that's me LOL. It would be better if i could actually see the action cause the tentacles are long enough that it covers the whole body and instead of it going on a visible rock its hiding the bottom section of the foot.

cipher43

Finally getting separated enough that i can see the rock underneath in the middle.
not sure if you can see it that well but its happening

cipher43

UGH this is SO SLOW!!! Its still splitting it looks like so its milking every second of that 1 week so far

luvmyreef

Ya know, I have a monster lta and have had it for 6 or so years. Never once did it split, or even look like it would.....

cipher43

I read that large clown fish can make them split sometime so my hogs my have caused this one. Its definatley is splitting but isnt finished i dont think. Its really hard to see what is going on with all the tenticles but there is separation on one of the sides atleast. we will see what happens i guess

cipher43

ok now we think there may be 3 sections.

the top right and bottom are just about closed in onthemselves now but the top left isnt yet. So its been over a week......... LTAs must like to take there time.

cipher43

Well i have good news and bad news. The good news is my nem is now 3 nems. The bad news is the fight on protecting my corals begins now. Will try and get a pic as soon ans the second one moves away farther from the original base.

cipher43

Here is the best pic I've gotten so far. The bottom one started to shrivel up like its expelling stuff so i hope its not dying instead. I guess if it does then i still have 2 more but I will keep an eye on it.

homegrownreefer

Surprised no one has said this yet but I believe that is a BTA. The two are hard to tell apart sometimes, do you have a picture of the foot and underside of the oral disk? Most likely is a BTA though, I have yet to hear of a LTA splitting. However if it is congrats!

cipher43

I bought it originally as a BTA but then the tentacles started getting quite long so I questioned it. I will try to get a picture of the foot for ya to see what ya think.

homegrownreefer

Yeah they are easily confused since BTA tentacles can get quite long, however a LTA will have a red/pink foot and white bumps/dots under the oral disk. Also they are almost always found in sand, very rarely found on a rock, even if it is its usually only temporary. However congrats on the split! Did all three make it?

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownREEFER http:///t/389920/lta-splittling#post_3454984
Yeah they are easily confused since BTA tentacles can get quite long, however a LTA will have a red/pink foot and white bumps/dots under the oral disk. Also they are almost always found in sand, very rarely found on a rock, even if it is its usually only temporary. However congrats on the split! Did all three make it?
yep they are all 3 doing great so far.

cipher43

one of them showed its foot this morning before the lights came on. I can't get a pic of the mouth anymore because they are only 5 inches around or so now but i will try to get one if I ever see it again.