Mag 9.5 faster then my overflows

squidd

2 X 1" drain lines should support 1200 gph...
Possibly "gappage" on teeth..
Is there more than 3/8" difference between "tank" level and level of "inner" chamber...??

K

kpatrick

With the power off the siphon didnt stop in the inner tank until it was about 1 1/2" lower then the display tank water. With the power on I lowered the inner tank all the way down until the diplay tank water was pouring over the top of the inner tank.
The teeth openings are 1/4"

K

kpatrick

I dont know how to post pics here but I can email them to you if you wanna give out email address.

tony detroit

Make sure there's no restrictions in the pipes.
I set up an overflow back in the day when I started running tanks and used silicon to put the pipes together. When I did that, I didn't know that it caused a huge blob of silicone in the pipes. This decreased my drain flow. It took a couple days before we finally figured out what was wrong.

dreeves

The inner box should only adjust the level of water within the aquariam...raising and lowering it simply raises and lowers the tanks level.
If your setup is resembling what squid has posted...that is all fine...
What does the plumbing from the overflow to the sump look like? Often times people will neglect to pay attention to bends/corners in drain line...mere drain pipe size, etc....if the water cannot evacuate the plumbing into the sump at the same or greater rate it is coming in...it will backup.
Check also the inside diamter of the two standpipes in the outer overflow box...sometimes they are assembled with two small of piping.
Ideally, you do not want any restriction in the drain portion of the overflow system.

donahue

It doesnt look like there is enough space where the u-tube is on the inside filter box. and it looks like the external boxes are tiny.

K

kpatrick

okay I am wondering if its the way I did the overflow pipes. I have them running straight down for 2 ft then a 90 degree elbow into a 14" run horizontal to the floor then another 90 degree angle from that down into the sump. Could the 90 degree elbows be the issue? If so I will redeign using (2) 45s instead of the 90s.

squidd

14" run horizontal to the floor
:nope:
Water flows downhill...
redeign using (2) 45s instead of the 90s.
:yes:

donahue

I do not think that is your problem. there is enough force pushing the water through that 14 inches. the 2 feet of drop is enough to move it i would think.jmo

squidd

Well it's as good a place to start as any...:thinking:
And being an "easy" mod ..I'd say it's worth a shot...

donahue

It seems like mag pumps are rated lower then what they are capable of. My mag 7 has 3 feet of head and i would say it is pumping probably 700 gph

squidd

You can "measure that"...
Take a 7 gallon bucket...measure out and mark 5 gallons on it...
Then divert your overflow into the bucket and "time" how long it takes to fill to the 5 gallon mark...
Then do the math to figure out how may GPH your "actually" gettting...

K

kpatrick

I will be taking the 90s off tonight and replacing with the 45s. I probably wont try them until tomorrow morning that way the glue has plenty of time to dry. I will let you know if this solves the problem.
I will also lower the internal tanks a little that way the u-tube is 1" from the bottom of the internal tank as well.

K

kpatrick

Well,
I gave the new 45s a try and it does pretty much the same thing. The water level in the main tank goes all the way to the top (maybe 1/4" from over flowing) but it never goes above that. I made sure the U-tube had 1" between it and the bottom of the internal box. The top of the internal box is about 1/4" below the waterline since the tank is almost to the very top.
Cant think of what I could do to lower the waterline a little more. With everything on, my sump is only about 5" deep which I dont think is deep enough for the ASM-G@ skimmer. Is it safe to add more water to the sump or do I need to figure out how to lower the display tank water level first?
Darn Squidd after all your help a couple weeks ago I thought I had it all figured out. :help:

squidd

The top of the internal box is about 1/4" below the waterline since the tank is almost to the very top.
See now we're back to lowering the internal box...:notsure:
Why did you "raise it"...??
Water flows "downhill"...
So...the lip (bottom of slots) of overflow (inner chamber) should be 1 1/2" below top of tank...at this point the "U" tube should be at least an inch from the bottom of the inner chamber...
Then the "Top" of the standpipe in the overflow (outer chamber) should be 2" below the "lip of the inner chamber...
Or 3 1/2" below top of tank...
And the back side of the "U" tube should be an inch or two below that.. 4 1/2" to 5 1/2" below "top" of tank...
If it doesn't work with these setup measurements...you need to either ...
1. Call the MFG and find out "What's up with this POS...??"
2. Figure out how to post some pics of this thing "in opperation" , so we can diagnose from there...
I think we may be loosing something here in the translation and interpretation of "discriptions"...

squidd

Do you have those goofy "sponges" on the standpipe (outer chamber)...??
If you do ..pull them...and see if helps...

K

kpatrick

lowering them and removing the sponges helped lower the water level in the display tank a little. However without the sponges the overflow is extremely loud (still loud with the sponges) but louder without. So much for it being called a "Quiet Flo" !! Wife cant stand the noise.
After all of this im still thinking of selling everything I just bought and buying a hang on back Remora Aqua C Pro and not have to deal with the plumbing and worrying about overflowing.

dmc888

I agree the tube needs atleast 1 inch distance from the bottom.
Try lifting the u tubes an inch and see if it makes a difference in flow.
If so trim the tubes down.
You could also try to add 1 or 2 more u tubes.
Could always sell it back on ---- and buy a better overflow.
Overflows are suppose to be pretty quiet. Unless the prefilters get clogged.