Major Loss Today.........87*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coraljunky

My brother is by far more trustworthy with salt tanks than needed to look after a 3 tanks for less than 36hrs. It just so happened that he ASSUMED it wouldn't need attention since I went away for such a short period. Good directions weren't needed since this was like the 50th time he watched them for me. Did you see me ranting on who's fault it was?? No!
Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2622233
sorry for your loss but who do you blame? YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you get someone who doesnt know what they are doing or you dont leave good directions as to what to do in every case.....you pay the price...i had a heater stick one time on a Discus tank..all of the sudden they were breathing heavy and at the top of the tank...guess what? heater stuck on temp was at 96.. i found it, anybody that didnt know what to look for would not have known what to do....
if you cant find someone who knows whats going on or that you trust you dont leave, no different in having a dog...

grabbitt

if you get someone who doesnt know what they are doing or you dont leave good directions as to what to do in every case.....you pay the price...i had a heater stick one time on a Discus tank..all of the sudden they were breathing heavy and at the top of the tank...guess what? heater stuck on temp was at 96.. i found it, anybody that didnt know what to look for would not have known what to do....
if you cant find someone who knows whats going on or that you trust you dont leave, no different in having a dog...

That's not necessary. In all cases, yes, it is your own responsibility to ensure the caretaker is sufficiently informed in all regards. In some, however, this still does not confirm there will be no problems. As coraljunky mentioned before, this was not the first time (far from, actually) this person had watched over his tanks in his absence. Sometimes it's just a matter of unfortunate circumstance.

We don't need members like this person, too many people ready to pounce, instead of helping.
Sorry to hear about your loss...

handtlkr

Sorry to hear! Old timer or new, it still really sucks to loose any livestock! I hope you and your tank are recovering!

gatorwpb

Wow thats crazy CJ! I cant see the pics here at work, but I imagine they are bad.

If you need some frags, let me know.

symon

Man, that just aint right! I have a reefkeeper II to take care of my lighting, Just can't trust anything else!
Get well soon! As we are all just sick for your loses!

shrimpi

if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.
Coraljunky is a great member who not only has healthy tanks but has helped out many members on this forum. This was not a issue of his neglect. Things happen and him venting doesnt give you the right to kick him while hes down.
Attitudes like that belong on reefcentral.
Justin,
if theres anything I can do let me know, Im just down the road :)
Jess

florida joe

Ok let me play the devils advocate there. What was your tank temp when you left? You said you were gone for a total of 3 days looking at your profile you have tanks on the larger size lets say it was the 65 g even if your heater was stuck on it would take a while to raise your temp to 87 if you were in the lower range if not the increases was not that dramatic. Bleaching to that extent with so many corals is hard to fathom

digitydash

MH will increase water temp alot faster then a heater .Being on for 29 hr I don't find it hard to believe mine will go up 4 deg in a 10hr with fans running.Also the hotter the water gets the faster the water evaporates and heats up faster.Some SPS don't like high temps.

florida joe

Originally Posted by digitydash
http:///forum/post/2625733
MH will increase water temp alot faster then a heater .Being on for 29 hr I don't find it hard to believe mine will go up 4 deg in a 10hr with fans running.Also the hotter the water gets the faster the water evaporates and heats up faster.Some SPS don't like high temps.
There is a big difference between not liking and a total bleach
First I am truly sorry. I also am not saying it did not happen. What I am saying is that a rise in temp over that time period to cause that much bleaching so fast is hard to understand. I am by far one if the less knowledgeable people on these boards but I do understand that a high water temp will heat up the coral itself and that sustained high heat destroys the photosynthetic capacity of Zooxanthellae, and through damage to photsystems the resulting generation of oxygen radicals can result in bleaching. But the temp was not that excessively high IMO I think the rapid fluctuation of up and down has to factor in but again the speed of the bleaching is hard to understand

shrimpi

I think the confusion here is that the corals did not simply bleach.. when the temp gets up high enough the tissue will slough off and disentegrate.
The pics of the dead coral he showed are of the skeleton of the coral, not bleached tissues.
If youve even had a coral get really pissed and slime away/disentegrate it looks just like that when its over- just the skeleton remains... and you get the pleasure of the nastiest smell known to man and slimy nasty tank water. The amount of decayed tissue in the water is what caused the snowball effect of the tank. he can only return it to normal so fast.
Jess

florida joe

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2625849
I think the confusion here is that the corals did not simply bleach.. when the temp gets up high enough the tissue will slough off and disentegrate.
The pics of the dead coral he showed are of the skeleton of the coral, not bleached tissues.
If youve even had a coral get really pissed and slime away/disentegrate it looks just like that when its over- just the skeleton remains... and you get the pleasure of the nastiest smell known to man and slimy nasty tank water. The amount of decayed tissue in the water is what caused the snowball effect of the tank. he can only return it to normal so fast.
Jess
First I have to disagree on one thing you can have coral bleaching with high temp where the heat can cause photosynthetic pigment loss. No slough off and disintegration of tissue and the corals can live in this bleached state
Ok so lets assume he had one of two things happen either bleaching or rapid tissue necrosis or even an other bacterial diseases that kills coral with increased temperature. A point in case is a newly discovered non-virulent species of Vibrio bacteria which becomes virulent at just 3 degrees above normal water temp and causes complete tissue loss nothing I have ever read happens so fast .

coraljunky

All very good points. Especially FloridaJoe's idea of a temperature induced bacteria battle.
I left my house around 6:30am Saturday morning. At this time none of my lights were on and tank(65g) temp was 77-78. My actinics(2x39w t5s) fire up @ 10:00am followed by the halides(2x250w 20k) @11am. I returned home 4:45pm Sunday. My normal high temp is 80 with halides turning off @ 7:30pm followed by the actinics @10:00pm. I have 2 6" cooling fans that cycle with the lights. From what I determined, the halides were on from 11am Saturday until 4:45pm Sunday. Half of the lost colonies were long gone(no tissue) the rest were in process of RTN or near the end. I fragged/salvaged what I could and began with turning all the lights off. I lowered the tanks temp by 6 degrees in 10hrs. Along with the corals, my bluespot jaw was desperately gasping to breathe(rip)

florida joe

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2625960
All very good points. Especially FloridaJoe's idea of a temperature induced bacteria battle.
I left my house around 6:30am Saturday morning. At this time none of my lights were on and tank(65g) temp was 77-78. My actinics(2x39w t5s) fire up @ 10:00am followed by the halides(2x250w 20k) @11am. I returned home 4:45pm Sunday. My normal high temp is 80 with halides turning off @ 7:30pm followed by the actinics @10:00pm. I have 2 6" cooling fans that cycle with the lights. From what I determined, the halides were on from 11am Saturday until 4:45pm Sunday. Half of the lost colonies were long gone(no tissue) the rest were in process of RTN or near the end. I fragged/salvaged what I could and began with turning all the lights off. I lowered the tanks temp by 6 degrees in 10hrs. Along with the corals, my bluespot jaw was desperately gasping to breathe(rip)
I am afraid every imaginable thing that could deplete you tank of oxygen did. The only solace you can take is that in your loss you have become more attuned to the many out side unexpected occurrences that can dramatically effect our tanks