male or female?

p_apac

does this differ between male and females? i have two that just arrived and one doesnt have the fin that this arrow is pointing to.

col

Howcome the middle white stripes on the clown don't join up to make one band?

bdhough

More than likely its genetic. The only thing the spines will tell you is whether the clown is a true or false perc. I don't know the count on them but it differs by one. Coloring is alot of times genetic especially if you get tank raised ones. But as Bang Guy said it could be other things.

p_apac

yes they were tank raised miss barred, is what the guy at my lfs said, there pretty reliable of having honest and knowledgable people working there. but i just wasnt sure what the deal was with the fins, the other looks fine like he never had them

stupid_naso

I've noticed that, too. Most of the time, although I don't have any reliable resources to back me up here, just talking from experience, the one that has its fin down is the female. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I've seen this in more than one pair of clowns. I believe that they both have that fin that you're pointing at, but one just have it down most of the time. That's why it appears as if it doesn't have the fin. What Bang Guy said is definitely true the fin also could've been damaged.
Hope it helps a bit...
stupid_naso