Man did I screw up last night.

robertmathern

I traded someone some live rock for some macro alge yesterday. Well I also decided to top off the tank. Now I have a flood alarm but my son figured out if he throws the sensor in the water the alarm will go of so I unplugged the battery
. I fell alseelp on the couch and the wife woke me up so I went to bed and forgot to trun off the rodi unit. This morning I woke to to find my hole house flooded and I mean flooded so bad there was water running down the street. on a bright note I had the return pump off so it was just the sump. I am pretty much sure there s no salt water left in the sump do you guys think the chetoa will be ok till I get home. Well never mind I just called the wife and had her throw it in the dt till I get home from work. I do thank god I just removed my carpet and installed tile so clean up wont be to bad lol. But I will let everyone know to get them alarms for the sump and dt so if there is a problem at night it iwll wake you up. Just dont remove the bettery like I did. There cheap and they work.

meowzer

LOL...YES...I also have the $10 Watchdog water alarm.....saved me last week when I was careless setting my skimmer
For $10 ....I also suggest everyone get one....Nexttime I go to Home Depot, I'm gonna get a couple more

sorry about your flood though

robertmathern

Its ok at least its not carpet anymore thats used to suck. My crab was still alive (dont think anything can kill it lol) so I filled a bucket from the dt and put him in there till after work. Godd thing I already had water mixing for a waterchange today. But there is nothing like walking through the house after just waking up a 5 am and standing in a huge cold poddle of water.

flower

Let me make sure I understand...You have a direct line from your RO to your tank?
I would NEVER do that. I would always put my RO water in a separate tub and transfer it from there for the ATO. I can’t tell you how many times I would have kissed my tank good bye if I had more water than that tub feeding my tank. Worst case my SG just drops to 1.023…but with a continuous feed it would have been 100% freshwater. You just happened to of turned off your return pump…imagine the outcome you could have had.

robertmathern

yes it was just a line from my rodi to my tank with just a little valve I can turn it on or off. Funny you say that I am actually looking at ato unit online as we speak. Usally the alarm goes off but I can say there is a reason I got those alarms as this has happened before only with capret. So Glad I had my pump off last night and changed to tile floors. The only reason for have the pump off was I removed some rock and added a few things so the water down there was cloudy I wantws to let it settle before turning it back on. Thank about getting lucky well dont know about that but could have been worse.

flower

I personally have screwed up a few times, if I had a direct line to my SW fish tank, it would be a freshwater tank now. I will never use anything but a separate tub. I love the JBJ ATO, it has worked flawless, one of the few things on my tank that has.
My latest fish tank saga…
As you know my 175w Ballast, the second one since I purchased the unit new not even a year ago. The lights are great but the ballasts are garbage.
I just got in touch with Coralife..what a hassle to get to them but they are sending me another 175w Ballast. The numbers in the book were no longer in service. I contacted marine & Reef where I bought it from originally and they gave me an up to date number and a copy of my receipt…The lady said she would send it right out. WHEW!