Mandarin Dragonettes fish mating

bostonjoey

i noticed my Mandarin/Dragonettes fish were courting the other day what/where should i be looking for as far as eggs should i be changing water flo at all? turnning off filters? .... also my friend said my coral banned shrimp looks like its carring eggs i dont see it tho any suggestions?

bostonjoey

bump
please reply id hate to miss a hatching anything at all i should be looking for after Mandarin/Dragonettes fish mate where to look please help most all the treads i find are about keeping Mandarin/Dragonettes fish alive. i couldnt find any addressing this issue please

btldreef

Research Matthew Wittenrich (or something to that effect) he's one of the few that's been successful.
I really don't know too much about it, but I believe it's ALMOST impossible and there are a lot of "false mating patterns". Good luck!

bang guy

A bonded pair of Mandarinfish will do a mating dance just about every night. They start low in the tank and both climb together. About once a month they will actually spawn. The eggs will float on the water surface for a little while and then sink. They are sticky and will stick to just about anything they touch. The eggs are tiny.

bang guy

Here's a picture I took to show the relative size of the eggs. Basically they will fit into a zero on the date of a cent.

bostonjoey

thanks bang guy those pics are extreamly helpfull .. the thing is i dont see them couting at night it was during the middle of day i read elsewhere that they mate at night too.. i have my tank infont of a window and the sun was shinning on my tank when they were couring. does anything eat their eggs ..
i got two purple sailfin tangs,
one hippo tang,
a six line wrasse,
yellow watchman goby,
maited pair of banded coral shrimp
about 5-6 emrald crabs
4-5 what look like emrald crabs but are red ( i call them ruby crabs{got from the ocean in Fl.bay any one know what they are?}),
a serpent star
a green brittle star
a sand sifting star,
and an orange star
multiable coral that might eat the eggs if they land on them

hunt

You would need to raise them in a seperate tank. Id imagine if it were anything like clownfish, the fish and inverts in the tank will eat the eggs or (if any got to hatch) larvea right away.

bostonjoey

I think natural foods is what is going to happen over the next year ill set up a smaller tank to try and raise the babys I know lots of live rock but what could I do to encourage the pods to thrive ?

bostonjoey

Thanks for that article hunt really helpful Idk what to do now if I see eggs ill make up my mind then . I constantly add brim shrimp eggs and pods and other live plankton to my tank to help keep populations .

hunt

Do they eat prepared foods, or just pods? If they are eating live brine shrimp, you could train them to eat mysis shrimp (healthier than brine shrimp).

bostonjoey

My tank is a 75 gal I'm going to upgrade when my tangs get a little bigger.
I feed different greens about 3-4 times a week
I have a meaty mix I make up myself that I fortified with a vitamin supplement I use it every night about an hour before lights go out
It has 4 different shrimp scallops muscles cohogs and other meats
My corals feed off my meat mixture ( I blender it super fine)
In-between I use flakes (marine)
Everything thrives
Lights are ho t5

bostonjoey

An update
Was feeding my tank my meaty mixture and sewn my dragonettes eating somethingvout of it
I'm not sure what kind of meat it was striking but the whole mixture is vitamin fortified
I still haven't seen them sitting flakes ill keep a watch and post if the hit flakes
I love my fish
Everyone