Mandarin Experiment (1-24-034)

killafins

okie, i promised i would keep posted about my mandarin and how he was adjusting to brine shrimp food. now, when i purchased him from my LFS he was eating frozen brine shrimp already so the LFS owner told me not to worry about LR... haha.. later m i too find out that the mandarin is too gentle and docile to move after the food unless it is placed right in front of him but when i place it in front of him he runs from me, lmao. Okay, what i do is put a tiny tiny tiny piece of brine shrimp into a warm water and let it defrost to defend the fish from ick... i then put it in an eye drop and tried to give it to him.
Well today i put him in a breeding thing, its small, and i gave him the food and he went mad over it! It would seem that he didn't eat for a thousand years!!! he ate the really small pieces of course and stuff. So anyway, it seemed to be a success, all i need is to give him something small to hide in so he doesn't get stressed out.
Now i honestly believe that this should work again but the reason why i write is because i NEED other people oppinions all the time. I am caring for life and i am GOING to make mistakes and with help i can prevent killing fish, lmao. To be more honest, i have had great luck with this tank and think its working out just fine.
If you have any comments on this experiment, please inform me so i can change something, add something, try a different food. For my goal is to get him to recognize the eye drop as a source of food, not necessaryly to adjust him to like brine shrimp. I would do live rock if i had some money to do it.
And of course i will admit it, it was a large mistake buying a mandarin, but u must admit... they seem to cast a spell of beauty on u...
--Erik

broncofish

One last thing to think about and then I will drop it. Even those people who have mandarins eating brine, I can gaurantee you that there fish are also eating pod. It's the sam as with a lion fish. If you feed him goldfish he will eat it, but be unhealthy in the long run. If an animal makes a drastic change in their diet it can cause an incredible amount of problems.

fbihunter

I have a fairly good amount of live rock that mine eats off of constantly. I also feed the tank baby brines every other night and supplement this with cyclop-eeze. This seems to do the trick for my mandarin.
You can see that he eats all of this he can get.

chef jaysen

My Mandarin loves i mean goes nuts for live brine shrimp. I would sugest buying alittle live rock if you dont have any for him to hover around. Mine rarely leaves the live rock....

killafins

i have don't have live rock but i took what the beast was swimming around. Its a type of bacterium rock or something. I dunno, the fish dude told me that, that may let him munch on something. Oh well... so where can i find a brine shrimp hatchery or something, lol... if a thing exists. And no, please don't quite. Constructive criticism is great and it helps brancofish... thanks all... please if u have any opinions please tell...

bang guy

I really wasn't going to say anything except you specifically asked for opinions.
It is my opinion that you should scour your area for a responsible hobbiest with a mature reef and beg them to take your Mandarin.
Pay them if need be.