Mandarin Pair Pix

bang guy

Sorry for the picture quality, but they only breed after lights-out.
The female is the wide-body on the right. She's looking a lot thinner today ;)

jarre

Kewl!! Can't wait to get my new systems running so I can handle a pair of the myself!! Thx for sharing them!!

Bang Guy, a question or two for you if i may..
How often do these guys breed in aquariums? Because if it is quite readily, they shouldnt need to take too many from the wild right? And if they can be captive bred and raised, surely they could be weened onto other prepared foods rather than live 'pods? Ive seen ONE out of hundreds of manderins that ate brine shrimp.
What's the deal?

bang guy

Well... I don't believe they breed in captivity all that often. It's not rare, but not common.
I think the major problem is raising the fry to a saleable size. It's pretty overwhelming for me right now. Maybe after spending a lot of time trying it would be possible. I think it is very rare that any fry are raised to adults. I have heard of one person that fed the fry larval Copepods and managed to raise some. I'm not quite ready for that much time (yet).
Guy

arkman

Thats really cool Bang. What size tank would you recommend as a min. for a pair? - just saw the other string (75 for 1) - how much would that change with a good refugium?

bang guy

I don't think tank size has much to do with it. But... I suggest at least 100# of mature live rock per Mandarin.
A good refugium is worth it's weight in rock :D