mantis shrimp at lfs!!!!

37g joe

So I went to my local mall at the have a pet store that sell SW fish and I went to just check what they had in thier in stock. well as I well looking at the tankes I was suprised to see for sale a mantis shrimp for $24 dollars. Now I have heard of people having them in thier tank because the hitchiked on apeice of live rock but the shier fact that they can break class tankes makes me afraid ever to have one in my tank. Well I asked the sales associate about it and she told me it hitched its way into the tank on a peice of LR and its killed several fish already but the wner wants to try to sell it. Now if someone knowinly searces out a mantis shrimp and wants to have one thats one thing but most people see them as a real pest and potental hazard and the likly hood of an newbie going in to this paticular shop and buying one not knowing what they are buying is high I feel its ridiculos that they are trying to turn a profit on a pest. maybe next they well be selling astipaisa and large brisstle worms. what does everyone else think?

aw2eod

They're not "pests". They're actually very cool little pets. People see them as "pests" because they hitch into their tank and kill their hermits/snails/shrimp/fish to eat. What's the different in that and buying a fish and putting it into your tank and it killing other fish or eating your corals? Those fish arent then deemed "pests".
The information about Mantis breaking tanks is ALMOST a myth. The only ones that you're gonna find, that are capable of breaking tanks, are the larger species, such as Peacocks. Unless you have a smasher that's 6" or so, you have nothing to worry about.
I've kept several different species, all different sizes and they're highly fascinating creatures.

blitz99

i think some mantis shrimp are awesome creatures... plus, it could be a spearer and not pose a threat to glass tanks (it sounds like that is what it is if it has killed quite a few fish).
i have a tank at work that i would put a mantis in.

my way

I would gladly pay $24 for a Peacock Mantis. Why blame the LFS for wanting to make a profit? You don't like to work for free, do you? There is way to much LFS bashing going on on these boards lately. Do some deserve it, YES. If the LFs gives a customer bad info about this Mantis Shrimp- Shame on them. If a customer buys it without doing research on it and it starts killing things in their tank-Shame on the customer.

monalisa

I was at an IMAX 3D movie today called Deep Sea 3D. They had a manis shrimp (in Florida, I think) that was 10" long and taking on an octopus...very cool footage!! Neither the mantis nor the octo was harmed or, well, you know...lunch, but man that mantis sure did put on a display!! I wouldn't want one in my tank, but I do think they are fascinating little creatures.
Lisa :happyfish

monalisa

Originally Posted by My Way
I would gladly pay $24 for a Peacock Mantis. Why blame the LFS for wanting to make a profit? You don't like to work for free, do you? There is way to much LFS bashing going on on these boards lately. Do some deserve it, YES. If the LFs gives a customer bad info about this Mantis Shrimp- Shame on them. If a customer buys it without doing research on it and it starts killing things in their tank-Shame on the customer.
I'm positive that the mantis in this movie was a peacock mantis...very beautiful, but as I said before, my tank would NEVER be accommodating (only 37g).

my way

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I'm positive that the mantis in this movie was a peacock mantis...very beautiful, but as I said before, my tank would NEVER be accommodating (only 37g).
I could be off base here but I think Mantis don't stray far from their homes in the wild so a 37 would be plenty large enough for a Mantis. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

C

cyrusmekon

Yes my LFS has one as well. Very big and is black and white stripes.
They keep him beside the cash register and he is not for sale. So many people ask for him but the owner loves him. The put a fish in now and again for dinner.
Quite amazing to watch but the things creep me out. I just had to remove one from a piece of LR the other night.
Each to there own. You love em or hate em, no reason why you cant sell them.

C

cyrusmekon

Actually heres a couple pics of the mantis. Like i say hes by the cash register at my LFS.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by My Way
I totally agree. I have seen some nice small tanks set-up for mantis shrimp.

37g joe

im glad I posted this topic cause now I know more about them still dont want one but thankes for the info.

stanlalee

Saltwaterfish.com sells em too. If your gonna chew the locals out chew them out here too
Nothing wrong with selling mantis as long as they provide neccessary information to the buyer. Mantis are just as capable of becoming an aggressive fishes dinner (trigger, large wrasse ect) as it capable of killing your smaller fish. cant win for losing.

rara12

that a cool mantis. I like that one better then any i have ever seen! My friend has one from the red sea and its almost 14"!!!
i think that they are cool when little but when they get huge the are wee bit scary

aw2eod

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
First, Peacocks are smashers, meaning they eat only hermits, snails, crabs, etc. Second, they max out at 6" and third, a 37gal. would be perfect for one. I've kept adult Peacocks in 10gal. tanks and have never had a problem.
The yellow and black stiped one, in the pics above, in an L. Maculata and those are spearers, eating only fish. I believe the biggest one ever recorded (caught) was 13". A larger Maculata (6"+) can easily

[hr]
through your hand.

moby

When I was a boy I lived on the coast in Georgia.
It was low tide and I was playing on the sand flats chasing fiddler crabs. I found a large shallow tidal pool with small minnows in it and started scooping them out to use as fish bait. I saw a mantis shrimp(approx. 4 inches long) darting around in the sand and had no idea what it was so I scooped him up too. I put my hand in the bucket to get him out and have a good look. BAM!
He split the end of my thumb open, which required 4 stitches to fix. Lesson learned.
Personally I think they are amazing animals and I think it would be neat to set up a species tank for one.
Moby

dragonboy

I heard they are strong enough to break glass once they get big enough for it or something but some of them do look cool for people who like exotic things. If you can keep a scorpion or tarantula than a mantis shrimp is no different.