Mantis shrimp problem

fishy7

After much thought and discussion, it is confirmed that I have a mantis shrimp issue. :mad:
I have never seen him but I do hear him from time to time. Actually never gave the sound much thought.
Doeas anyone have ideas or hints that can help me rid my tank of this shrimp?
I am looing for his hideout but have not found it yet.
I am ready to use a trap but need to know where he hangs.

Thank you for the hlp

symon

don't feed for a couple of days, then put a piece of shrimp in the trap , turn the lights out ???

fishy7

Originally Posted by UKCATS
If you catch him I'll take him...let me know.
I will gladly give him to you.
Not sure how to ship but will disuss that when I get there.
I am prettty sure it is a mantis, click click click.
Hermits do not last long plus pepps come up missing
Cracked shells
Everyone thank you for the helpful hints. I will keep you posted on the mystry psycho shrimp. :mad:

dynagirl

Does loud clicking mean you have a mantis??? I hear clicking pretty often and have never found the source....I also had two peppermints go missing but I assumed it was my brittle star......

emperor11

Originally Posted by dynagirl
Does loud clicking mean you have a mantis??? I hear clicking pretty often and have never found the source....I also had two peppermints go missing but I assumed it was my brittle star......
That clicking noise means you have either a mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp are good, mantis shrimps are not. Since you had two peppermints go missing, and not just the one..there's probably a good chance you have a mantis. Find out where its hiding by watching the tank at night with a flash light, and GET HIM OUT!

dynagirl

:scared: AHHHHHHHH!!!
I'm surprised none of my fish went missing.....Thanks for the tip.
Now for the hunt.....

fishy7

Here is a list of the following that are MIA since I started 8 months ago
200 hermits
peppermint
astrea
chromis
4 red scarlet
Whith all those 6's definatley have the deveil-mantis in my tank. :mad:
I have a question. IF I take my rock out of my tank and heat it up to lets say 95 or cool it down to 60 or cooler. Do you think this will get the shrimp to either A die or B come out? I am looking for alternative ways just incase I can never find the little BAST%$^? Do not want to kill my rock off either.

aw2eod

Originally Posted by Emperor11
That clicking noise means you have either a mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp are good, mantis shrimps are not. Since you had two peppermints go missing, and not just the one..there's probably a good chance you have a mantis. Find out where its hiding by watching the tank at night with a flash light, and GET HIM OUT!

Pistol Shimp arent all that good either. They'll also eat shrimp, crabs and sometimes fish.
Mantis Shrimp usually let loose one "click" at a time, while Pistol Shrimp will let go a few, in rapid succession..."click, click, click".

maxalmon

Originally Posted by FISHY7
I have a question. IF I take my rock out of my tank and heat it up to lets say 95 or cool it down to 60 or cooler. Do you think this will get the shrimp to either A die or B come out? I am looking for alternative ways just incase I can never find the little BAST%$^? Do not want to kill my rock off either.

I wouldn't do that, you'll spike your tank with die off from the LR, a better way is to do a drip method on the LR. A good way is to use those plastic file crates from staples, get a bucket or pool thats larger than the crates, put an empty crate in the bottom and then stack crates filled with your LR ontop of the empty on. using a pump, canister filter whatever, run a pipe tot he top of the crates and let the water trickle over the LR, much like a wet/dry filter. Pretty soon everything will crawl out of the rocks and land in the bottom of the pool, keep what you want.

firedog

My pistol shrimp don't bother anything. They click once in a while, just to scare fish. But I don't even hear that anymore. And they aren't so shy that you won't see them. You should probably see a little burrow under a rock if it is a pistol shrimp.
Never had a mantis shrimp. Couldn't tell ya what noises they make. But don't catch him with your hand.

fishy7

Maxa, thanks for the suggestion. I am planning on that as an alternative. I hope it does not come to that but I will do what I have to do.
I stopped feeding the tank and will be trying a mantis trap tomorrow. I am hoping he will come out for a tasty treat. If not then I will be forced to take matters into my own hands.
I know these guys are pretty mean and I am pretty paranoid about sticking my hands in the tank.

fishy7

Anyone know how long LR can stay out of the water without causing an issue(ammonia spike) when installing back in the tank?

rustyj

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Anyone know how long LR can stay out of the water without causing an issue(ammonia spike) when installing back in the tank?

I have read that if you rinse quickly in fresh water the shrimp will come our quite quickly and you will not hurt the LR. Good luck.

fishy7

Bought a mantis trap and went fishing last night.
I caught the following:
2 hermit crabs
13 nar snails(they are in the sump now)

I am trying again tonight.

I used a pirce of raw shrimp-is this a good idea? I hope old manti likes it.

emhcee

rookie question alert - I've noticed a few threads on the boards about the sudden finding of a type of shrimp or crab in the tank... how is it that these critters get in the tank if the owner doesn't know about it?

zsalinas

They're called hitch hikers. Sometimes they come in with the live rock you've bought from the lfs. Some people get good hitch hikers though like fish and good corals.

fishy7

I have had this guy in my tank since day one and never knew. Just thought hermits die over time but way to many have died. put 2 & 2 together and there you have it. 280lbs of lr is a lot but I received this rock from a tank that was established for 8 years. I would have never guessed.
I guess this is what happens sometimes.