Mantis Tank Pics

bang guy

Be sure to give him some snail/crabs/clams once in a while. If he doesn't exercise those clubs they will atrophy and fall off.

benihuma

Thanks for the compliments. I feed him frozen shrimp, freeze-dried krill, live crayfish, live ghost shrimp, and various live crabs. I don't think he'll lose his clubs. He actually uses them every day trying to club my curious kitten. I'm glad the acrylic is holding up. By the way, I spent $40 on him, but that's OK, in three years it's the first I've seen at my lfs.
ben

derrikd

HERE IS MY TANK.. FOR THE MANTIS... AS SOON AS I GET HIM .. I THINK THAT THEY ARE SO COOL I HAD THIS EXTRA AND RELLY DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.. SO I SAID MANTIS ARE NEAT.. SO HERE IS HIS HOUSE!!
ANY ONE THINK THAT YOU COULD PUT MORE THAN ONE IN HERE OR WOULD THEY JUST FIGHT??

killa

That is a very cool looking mantis shrimp.
I have found two in my tank and they are both a boring brown colour. So far I have only got one out. How big is yours also, the ones I have had are only a couple of inches.

benihuma

my mantis is about 4-5 inches. so is mine a peacock? derrikd, that is a pretty outlandish mantis tank. what i might do if i were you, is ditch the fake coral and buy some live rock rubble pieces. i would hate to see all that coral get busted up by your mantis, which is likely to happen. i purchased 30 small pieces and one big piece, and he has smashed all the small pieces even smaller to suit his needs. good luck finding one!
ben

derrikd

I HAD AN EXTRA I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.. I HAVE A 75 REEF AND DO NOT WANT TO PUT LIVE IN THERE.. HE WILL BREAK THE CORAL UP??

N

newreefers

I also have a 6gal eclipse set up for my mantis, the tank just cycled and I just ordered him. he will be a 4" peacock mantis. here is his new home, just waiting for him now.

jbfastlane

Another question here guys - how are you catching those things in your tanks? I have one and will be ready to send it to the first to say I -- but I gotta catch the little SH*T first.
Just bought a trap at the LFS. I tried the nylon and plastic bottle deal to no avail. I hear him knocking, but I can't get him out.
Ideas welcome!!!!!!!!

treble

Although the idea of getting one excites me I dont belive i'd be your taker, but I can sure offer you some ides for getting him. Have a bucket of freshwater + saltwater ready. Study the mantis, find where his rock is (mantis have a rock that they like to live and sleep in). Take this rock out when your sure hes in it. Dunk the rock into freshwater, wait wait wait....he will come out within 1-3 minutes or suffer the consquences.. :/ Once he scurrys out, net him before he knows what hit him and put him in the saltwater.

conogre

Mantis shrimp are some of our favorite invertibrates, and here's a little extra info that may help some of you decide.....the "hammerers", like the peacocks can be kept in tanks with fish as long as they are well fed, being specialized crustacean/bivalve/snail feeders (as well as among the most beautiful), and in larger tanks, more than one can be kept with the fish (while the average "cleanup crew" is deffinitely on the menu, keep in mind they BECOME the cleanup crew)
the spearers are a whole different story, as they are highly predatory on fish, and thus need their own tank (on the other hand, they will co-exist with many crabs and other crustaceans)
Here's a photo of our current mantis shrimp, "Blade", who's living in an old betta tank minus the dividers, with a small Eclipse bio-wheel filter and lots of caulerpa for nitrate control.
He's about 5" long (normal is up to 8") and a "spearer", and since we live in Florida, get them at really great prices (free) from the local bait shops where they come in mixed with the bait shrimp.
They are more than happy to give them away, due to liability is some poor tourist should get one in his bait bucket....the local nickname is "thumbsplitters"!!!**grin**

magic

I have one of those I would like to sell. It looks like the one in the last picture but it is a baby now, its about 1in long. anyone know what a good $amount would be?