Marc Weiss Phosphate Magnet

Looking for some help with this product. I have a hair algae problem (use RO H2O so not sure where the phosphates are from) and it was reccomended by my LFS to use this product. My questions is, I do not have a sump or filter to place the poly bag in. Would it be OK to put it directly in my tank if front of a powerhead? Also the product states "mix with activated carbon to avoid arsenic contamination". Well, since I don't ahve a filter, I don't use carbon. Could I put some in the poly bag with the Phosphate Magnet? Any help is as always appreciated.
PS.
Any opinions on his Coral Vital product?

T

thomas712

Trying to think creative here. Perhaps you could get a large enought PVC pipe with end caps, drill holes in the endcaps, one endcap large enough to attach your powerhead to thus creating a filter tube. Place your carbon/phos remover in the pvc tube and walla. Or you can get a hang on powerfilter and place your carbon and PO4 remover in it, might not be a bad idea when you want to run your water through those things. A penquin filter would be ideal.
Thomas

birdy

I just thought I would add, that I used that product and I didn't think it did a very good job, and it was pretty expensive. I now use Ken'ts phosphate sponge and I like it a lot better.

bang guy

Originally posted by Waterbury Guy
Also the product states "mix with activated carbon to avoid arsenic contamination".

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!
That statement would scare the kajeebies (technical term) out of me. You really want to put that in your aquarium?

You're right about that contamination statement. In regards to Kent's Phosphate sponge, could I put it in the micron bag in my Remora Pro where the water feeds back into the aquarium?