Marineland Visi-Therm POS?

foodshape

I've had many heaters over the years but this is my first experience with this brand. New 250W heater simply stopped working after 8 days... The light stays on but the unit generates no heat. It wasn't dropped and there are no signs of cracked glass or damage otherwise. It was in my sump (but that's irrelevant as there is no livestock in the tank yet). Just bad luck or are these mediocre heaters?
If I'd bought it at an LFS I'd bring it back to them, but I bought it online. The warranty is no consolation - the consumer has to pay the cost of shipping both ways (whether or not Marineland agrees to fix or replace the unit) which probably adds up to the price of a new unit anyway.

foodshape

I see what you mean... when reading up before buying all I came across were problem reports for the Stealth line, and several ostensibly objective sites with nothing but praise for the Visi-Therm line... however now I'm finding other sites that are predominantly loaded with stories such as mine regarding Visi-Therm as well. Just goes to show you have to be careful with online "Customer Reviews" - there is nothing preventing a review source (even a presumably honest one) from being loaded up with "plant" reviews.
It sounds like the company has been decent about sending replacements, but frankly I just think I'll eat my loss and move on (edit: but will call to see if I can get a refund...). I'm not interested in a replacement unit I can't trust.

foodshape

Several calls to their Customer Service (who to be fair were prompt and helpful)... Two options offered: 1. get a refund (but have to ship the unit back to them at my cost for that) or 2. have them ship me a new unit at no cost / shipping paid by them.
I checked and the shipping costs (cross-border) for me to return the unit are 2/3 the value of the heater - I would only get a net back of $10, so I told them to go ahead and send me a new one. If I don't trust it for my DT I can still at least use it for mixing change water or other utility purposes for as long as it works...

sweatervest13

I just recently purchased a Finnex brand titanium heater and so far I am pretty happy. They are a bit pricey, as you have to run it with a separate controller. If you decide not to trust the reshipped heater, check out the Finnex or other titanium heaters.

meowzer

Another good heater is the Jager......I purchased 2 of them instead of Marineland products after the recall

mr. limpid

Same here, because I didn't want to buy a controller. If this one dies then I going to bite the bullet and go your way Ryan.

acrylic51

I'd never use a Stealth.....I got "popped" good a couple years ago by one before I figured out what was hitting me.....Luckily it wasn't on my system......Titanium heaters only for me, but Jager makes good heaters.....