Maroon Clown questions

katfish22

I just got a [beautiful] 1" gold banded maroon for my 12g nano. He will most likely be the only fish I get. Anyway, a few days after having him I noticed his lower fins were no longer perfect. I have nothing in my tank but a peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, various snails, a bristle worm (possibly a fire), as well as a toadstool, xenia, ricordia, and zoos. I can't think of anything that would have nipped him. Is it possible that the water flow from an additional power head was too high and it injured him? Will his fins grow back? (I've reduced the water flow just in case.)
Next question, when I found him he was hosting an anenome. I don't have one and won't until I move up to a larger size tank w/better lighting. I didn't think about this until I noticed he only stays close to the top of the tank. Is this normal? Should I have selected one that was not hosting? He doesn't swim around the lr either.
Where do they usually hand out at night? Again, he is staying at the top.
Thanks.:thinking:

guru

fungus problems? did you quarantine this fish? what kind of condition was the tank in you got it from??

bang guy

I would guess a Hermit tried a bite. i wouldn't worry about it, the fins will grow back amazingly fast in a healthy fish.
Do you have enough light for mushrooms?
Do you have rock for the Clown to hide in?
Maroon Clownfish normally adopt an area larger than a 12 gallon. This smaller space might cause some stress for the fish as it grows past 3 inches.

katfish22

I do have a bully for a hermit crab. He is pretty aggresive even though there are plenty of empty shells. I've had him 6 months. I thought about getting rid of him. Do you suggest it?
I do believe I have the lighting for a mushroom. I have a great spot midway up ready for it when I find what I like. The ricordia are doing well.
My water conditions are pretty stable.
Hiding place? I have a pass-through that is covered that the shrimp likes but it is close to the sand. There is room behind the rocks in the back corners but he isn't checking out the rock work.

bang guy

I don't know if Maroons will accept Green Hairy Mushrooms as a host but my Ocellaris love them and they are very easy to care for.
Clownfish don't require an animal as a host but it sure looks cool. Give it some time and see if your Clown starts to accept its new home.
I'm not a big fan of hermits so I'm the wrong person to ask. If you like it then there's probably no reason to remove it.

liquidskys

I have a marroon for the longest time he hung out around the top of the tank in a corner..
I recently bought a BTA so now he is teasing around that..
You can tell the BTA is totaly wanting to host the marroon but it looks like its going to take some time for the marroon to go all in..
:D

saltymom

Hiya Katfish!
I just wanted to chime in, since have a goldstripe maroon...and it has adopted my brown mushrooms... He absolutely luvs them..
I thought u might like to see.
:)

cbshark

I have two GSM's that host in a couple of condy anemones. I know they don't require as much light as many other anemones. You may try one of them.