Mass disaster!!!

mproctor4

There was a rather mean post in the beginning, it has been edited out. If I were the OP and read that, I probably wouldn't be back either.

S

smartorl

He was here 6 hours ago, just didn't post back.
Everyone makes mistakes, that is a fact. The addition of seahorses given this posters at length discussion of budget constraints was a really big reach. Seahorses and the equipment and the foods and medications to feed them is not cheap. Seahorses are almost as costly and time consuming as real horses.
Given the name on the thread, Meowzer used a play on words. No matter how you slice it, it was an epic fail. Have most of us experienced that epic fail moment, most definitely.
Even the discussions in the past about this posters lighting restrictions, the nem was not going to survive. My guess is it was already compromised and died, nuking the tank and the inhabitants.
It is very hard to stabilize a tank after an amenone dies when you know what is going on.
In the past, this poster was pretty good natured and playful about the restrictions of his tank and want to learn. Could be he was super sensitive about the loss both in actuality and financially. It can sting.
A sw tank on a shoestring budget can be done. It does take diligence and careful planning. One way or another, there was no happy ending with the chosen inhabitants.
I am sure moving forward, members would be happy to offer suggestions as to a doable stocklist that could be enjoyed for many years.

mproctor4

I wasn't referring to your post at all. It made yours sound very nice. And it absolutely WAS edited out--about 5 min after it was posted. I was upset for the OP because it was mean and inappropriate.

mproctor4

It was there because I was responding to it and the next minute it was gone. I actually read it to my husband because I was so suprised by it.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3420672
It was there because I was responding to it and the next minute it was gone. I actually read it to my husband because I was so suprised by it.
What did it say? (Just kidding, I can only imagine)
Did someone who we know posted it? Or was it someone relatively new?

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3420678
What did it say? (Just kidding, I can only imagine)
Did someone who we know posted it? Or was it someone relatively new?
It doesn't really matter. My point to this is we all should be reading the post more closely before jumping down someones throat. You can edit the post later, but if that person already read it, you can't always take things back.

flower

I do believe I am the guilty party...The post was not deleted, it was edited. I realized I had misunderstoof the post and fixed it within not even 3 minutes. Also just in case OP read it, I explained I thought he had only lost the new critters he introduced, and expressed condolences for his loss.
I believe the OP is busy resetting his tank...new sand, new saltwater...as he put it...everything.
I doubt my post was even read. The original post says it was posted at 5:59 PM. My post wasn't posted until 9:00 AM... In reality it was 6:00 AM
Nobody is on the site at that time, I can post 10Xs with no response because nobody is even around then. If my post says 9:00am when it is 6:00am...OP posted at early afternoon the day before.
As to what it said...In answer to what could have killed them all ..I posted "You did, by adding them with other very aggressive territorial fish like the two yellow tangs and the blue damselfish." I think I also warned him to not restart the tank, he would kill the remaining fish, I couldn't believe he didn't know better than to reset a tank and then re-add his fish....I hadn't realized he already had no remaining fish to be concerned about.
P.S.
I agree in view he lost everything, my post was really mean...that's why I fixed it.

S

smartorl

Seriously, I do not agree with people being mean for the sake of being mean and don't think this is what happened here. If this was "mean" to some people, I want to live in your world for real.
This person has been a member here for some time. They have had a tank by there own admission for a few years.
While we have all made mistakes with our tanks, stock lists, and technical details, there is a degree of accountablilty that comes with owning any living animal. You have to do your research, it is not someone elses job to do it for you. A simple google search of "seahorses and anemones' will reveal a wealth of reasons not to. That has nothing to do with the warnings on this forum.
If you wear your grownup pants enough to make your own choices educated or not, then you should also wear your grownup pants enough to own your responsibility and possibly criticism.
I don't know about anyone else but when I was on a tighter budget, I was diligent in making the right decisions. I couldn't afford the losses and admitedly, took a lot less chances with possible compatability issues. Admittedly, I also have other choices of tanks where something may work out better.
The simple uncandy coated facts are this person doesn't have the lighting to support the anemone, this size of a tank is too large to support untrained (feeding stations) horses and they were bound to starve to death, the shrimps were incompatible to the horses, the anemone was incompatible to the horses, this persons issues with water quality didn't bode well for the anemone or the horses.
These are the simple facts. These creatures didn't levitate into the tank by magic, they were sought out and purchased.
If you do something, own it. Everyone makes mistakes. The op is not a victim here, nor is anyone else.
No one intends to be rude but in less than the time to drive somewhere to get these creatures, simple research could have avoided the whole catastrophe.
Sorry but these are the facts.

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3420792
I doubt my post was even read. The original post says it was posted at 5:59 PM. My post wasn't posted until 9:00 AM... In reality it was 6:00 AM
Nobody is on the site at that time, I can post 10Xs with no response because nobody is even around then. If my post says 9:00am when it is 6:00am...OP posted at early afternoon the day before.
The times are always off on this site. My computer shows your post was 12:30pm and mine was right after yours. I do believe that time because I worked late this weekend and didn't even get out of bed Monday until after 11:00am. Also, the OP was logged onto the site while I was posting my response (the same time you were editing yours). Who knows if he read it or not.... I was just responding to a post about why he wasn't back...It is one of the possible reasons. It shouldn't really matter what time it was posted, thats not the point. Anybody could potentially be online at anytime. I am frequently on at 6:00am but that doesn't mean I post, I'm just not nice that time of morning. I don't understand why it is okay to jump down his throat when you thought only the seahorse and anemone died? Instead he lost everything, so then we should show some compassion? Flower, I respect that when you feel like you have said something that could potentially be misunderstood or hurtful, you admit it and try to correct the situation. I don't in anyway think that you were trying to be mean on purpose, I think it was a quick response because you were upset about the circumstances.
Smartori--did you read the post before the edit? The very small amount of time I spent looking at the OP's replies indicate that he has had a SW tank less than a year. That doesn't make him experienced. I have in no way indicated that he isn't responsible for what happened. I'm pretty sure he knows that by now. Who know if he owns it or not, he hasn't been around for whatever reason. Is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake? I'm betting that almost everyone on this forum has some regrets. Most people come here to learn something, not get kicked while they are down. The majority of the time people are wonderful about helping and sharing on this forum, that is what makes it so much better then the other forums out there.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3420998
The times are always off on this site. My computer shows your post was 12:30pm and mine was right after yours. I do believe that time because I worked late this weekend and didn't even get out of bed Monday until after 11:00am. Also, the OP was logged onto the site while I was posting my response (the same time you were editing yours). Who knows if he read it or not.... I was just responding to a post about why he wasn't back...It is one of the possible reasons. It shouldn't really matter what time it was posted, thats not the point. Anybody could potentially be online at anytime. I am frequently on at 6:00am but that doesn't mean I post, I'm just not nice that time of morning. I don't understand why it is okay to jump down his throat when you thought only the seahorse and anemone died? Instead he lost everything, so then we should show some compassion? Flower, I respect that when you feel like you have said something that could potentially be misunderstood or hurtful, you admit it and try to correct the situation. I don't in anyway think that you were trying to be mean on purpose, I think it was a quick response because you were upset about the circumstances.
Oh I know folks are on at all hours, I was being hopeful, because I changed the post ASAP, I even posted something real short then added to it trying to fix it as fast as I could. It would have been better to think before I typed to start with, I really hate when I do that. I hope the OP is still around.
Sea horses are a tender spot for all who keep them....I know I read sea horses with a damsel and kind of lost it. Those fish are so stinking mean and at first I really thought aggression was why they died. I didn't even consider the anemone, so my response was way off.
You know....I have lost anemones and it never polluted my tank. I had one caught in a power head (before finding this site and learned to cover them) and I had one just slowly disappear, one I had just purchased and acclimated and it turned to snot within minutes of going into the tank, it made a mess but nothing died. So I really don't think the anemone could have wiped out the entire tank of critters.
I can't imagine the loss of everything in the tank...how horrible.

S

smartorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3420998
Smartori--did you read the post before the edit? The very small amount of time I spent looking at the OP's replies indicate that he has had a SW tank less than a year. That doesn't make him experienced. I have in no way indicated that he isn't responsible for what happened. I'm pretty sure he knows that by now. Who know if he owns it or not, he hasn't been around for whatever reason. Is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake? I'm betting that almost everyone on this forum has some regrets. Most people come here to learn something, not get kicked while they are down. The majority of the time people are wonderful about helping and sharing on this forum, that is what makes it so much better then the other forums out there.
Did you go back and read other posts from the op? I did.
Did you read my post? I was very upfront in saying everyone here, no matter how experienced makes mistakes all the time.
The argueing about what is "appropriate responses" is what makes this silly. In my opinion, good, bad, or indifferent, everyone is entitled to an opinion. All the different members with their different experience, opinions, and backgrounds is what makes a forum the educational tool it is. Some of the worst I have EVER seen on this forum is still better than the best of others. Sometimes I wonder if all the dictating and "spanking" those who are "mean" to posters with relation to saltwater keeping (excluding the aquarium) is the reason that this once thriving, amazingly educational place is a ghost town.
Also, as I stated, it is up to each and every one of us to research, if we choose not to and go to a public forum and post the fact that we did not, then along with a degree of sympathy and empathy (because we have all been there a time or two), you'd pretty much have to expect not to be given a high five.

S

smartorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388096/mass-disaster/20#post_3421034
Oh I know folks are on at all hours, I was being hopeful, because I changed the post ASAP, I even posted something real short then added to it trying to fix it as fast as I could. It would have been better to think before I typed to start with, I really hate when I do that. I hope the OP is still around.
Sea horses are a tender spot for all who keep them....I know I read sea horses with a damsel and kind of lost it. Those fish are so stinking mean and at first I really thought aggression was why they died. I didn't even consider the anemone, so my response was way off.
You know....I have lost anemones and it never polluted my tank. I had one caught in a power head (before finding this site and learned to cover them) and I had one just slowly disappear, one I had just purchased and acclimated and it turned to snot within minutes of going into the tank, it made a mess but nothing died. So I really don't think the anemone could have wiped out the entire tank of critters.
I can't imagine the loss of everything in the tank...how horrible.
Flower, you really have no reason to defend yourself or your responses. Seriously, I'm pretty peeved that people keep beating a dead horse.
Everyone of us has typed something we thought about and maybe regretted later because we realized we read something wrong or did not intend it to be as harsh as it sounded.

S

smartorl

Please stop you are scaring me!
Kidding! (maybe)
Exactly, bickering about who said what and when doesn't help the issue at hand.